Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outwitting Squirrels

Posted by outwittingsquirrels none (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 17:54

I'm working on the third edition of my book, Outwitting Squirrels, and am looking for squirrel stories.

First published in 1988, Outwitting Squirrels, subtitled, 101 Cunning Stratagems to Reduce Dramatically the Egregious Misappropriation of Seed from Your Birdfeeder by Squirrels, is about how to keep squirrels out of birdfeeders and gardens. For some reason squirrels don't heed the signs that say "No Squirrels," and we have to deploy Plan B (not to mention Plan C, D, E, and every other plan) to thwart squirrels.)

Outwitting Squirrels talks about keeping squirrels from digging in gardens, too.

Have you had a successful, unsuccessful, or hysterical encounter with a squirrel? Has a squirrel ruined your day? Your week? Your life? Or have you fallen madly in love with the squirrel who comes to your porch each day, begging for nuts.

--Bill Adler

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outwitting Squirrels

I've got your book...and just finished re-reading it!

My story is probably typical of many others. I had one of those squirrel proof feeders surrounded by wire cage. It worked great for awhile until one squirrel figured out how to get inside the feeder and all of his cronies took lessons.

o
RE: Outwitting Squirrels

Just noticed your post, after I posted about tree squirrels eating our sweet corn last year. For the first week or two, we didn't know who the "varmints" were. But then my wife waited, watching the corn stalks for shaking. As soon as they were shaking, we both ran out, to see 5 gray squirrels hopping through the picket fence, back to where ever they live.

Completely different story, I have cut large trees down (with squirrels in them). They can jump 50-60 feet to the ground, then just run away. Really amazing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here