Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting rid of mice

Posted by Gilberto 11/PR (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 02 at 18:53

Hello,
Are there any way of getting rid of mice organically? We have had a couple of rainy days in a row and these unwanted/unwelcomed creature are trying to use our house as a shelter. We have a dog and a little girl so using regular poison/baits is not a choice for us. I have used traps but, when lucky I'll only get one every few days at the most. Cats are also out of question as my wife cannot stand them. Any help is greatly apreciated.
Thanks,
Gilberto

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting rid of mice

You might try the humane traps such as Havahart. My experience is that they are very efficient.

Arizona Bob

o

Put monthballs and small pans filled with ammonia in the corners of your attick. The smell will drive them away. However, your house will smell of mothballs for a day or two.

o

Havahart traps work, but you may not want to concern yourself with "live disposal". Standard "hammer" type traps work just as efficiently, are cheap and can be thrown away with the dead mouse. Glue traps are another option, but I don't like them because you are left with a mouse that will or has already starved to death (small mammals will do so within two days) and they seem less humane (Which would you prefer: starvation, waiting for your captor to find and kill you or a quickly broken neck?).

o

I agree, standard old-fashioned snap traps are still the most efficient and humane way to kill mice (still not pleasant but the thought of glue traps really gives me the willies!). You also don't have the worry about the mouse dying where you can't find it or get at it, the problem with poison bait (it's amazing how much a small dead animal can stink!). Can you put the traps in a cupboard, under the sink, or other space where the mice go, but not the dog or child? Be sure to bait them with something like peanut butter--it works much better than cheese. Also, the greater the number of traps you use, the more likely you are to catch the mice.

o

We bought one of those things you plug into the wall and it sends a signal through the wiring of your home and it works great.Have tried the glue trap once and do not reccommend it.It works but if your faint of heart and couldn't hurt a fly than its not for you.Their hair sticks to it and you won't be able to release them.We couldn't anyway.

o

peppermint oil essential oils on cotton balls in and around holes where they may use to get access into your house works. They don't like the smell.

o

I have read the different means of Getting rid of Mice.
Here's the one that does it the organic way.
Peel an Onion in four parts and place it 4" underground
(Root side UP). The gases prouduced underground will drive
away the mice, insects incl. Ants.
Contact me for further assistance you may need.
SHAH

o

use glueboards.

o

I have Bought the Rat Zapper 2000 off e-bay 38.00. I had so many mice in my old farm house, the first night i got 4, same the next day, I get about 1 a day now. I have to say this thing really works and it runs off 4 aa batterys.

o

How can you tell if you have gotten rid of all the mice?

o

Well I only get a couple a week now,but I still here them in the walls. So I keep the rat zapper on and move it around the house often. I live in a 130yr old farm house that we are fixing up,thought I had all the cracks and holes plugged up but who knows? My sister had a new house built and she found mice in her house. goes to say they will get in anyway they can.

o

If you want to do it organically, try fox urine. You can buy it in bottles. I saw it on a website. It's www.yardgeek.com. It's a natural repellent. The Fox is a natural predator of mice. I've heard this is very effective.

o

I have recieved a heap of emails from my posting above and the device we bought is called Pest Offense if anyone else is interested in knowing :)

Thanks,
Heidi S~

o

I found an interesting product called the rat zapper. It is a battary operated trap that zaps the mice and rats. I used it this last year and within 1 week got rid of all the mice in our house. I highly recommend it.

o

• Posted by Denya Zn.9,w.coast-Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 03 at 19:52

Get a cat.

Denya

o

My cat brought a live mouse into my house over a week ago and it escaped behind my kitchen cupboards. I have got two standard hammer traps down at the moment, but I haven't caught it yet. I know it's still there, as I can hear it scratching in the walls, but it doesn't seem to be approaching the traps - although yesterday I found that one of the traps was sprung, but no mouse on it. Can anyone please please suggest a way of getting rid of it, because it's scratching in the early hours of the morning is driving me mad! And driving my cat mad too - he can hear it and smell it, but can't get to it. Am I going to have to resort to putting poison down? Please e-mail me with any suggestions. Thanks.

o

the bate we use is "SWISS MISS" the powder chocolate. just put enough to cover the trap. we use the old fashion style traps. this does not attract our dogs and is chemical free.

o

• Posted by soren Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 03 at 18:05

oh my those humane traps are a hoot. Years ago we thought it would be nicer alternative to the snap traps. (Which by the way the covered plastic ones seemed to catch more then the open wood ones.) Well we put the humane trap out one night baited with peanut butter and the next day found four tiny baby mice in it! And then we quickly had a problem; what do you do with them now?!

o

Play "Telletubbies" videos 24 hours a day, preferably very loud. Even mice couldn't survive that for very long.

o

We have been having problems with voles (field mice) eating out plants in the yard. We used the Victor snap traps baited with peanut butter and oatmeal and it worked like a charm.
Penny

o

• Posted by skolla baltimore md (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 6, 03 at 9:44

tell me more about peppermint oil treatments and mothballs and amonia treatments to get rid of these please

o

Hi all,
I'm wondering how often the peppermint oil needs to be refreshed on the cotton balls. I've used peppermint oil before with some success, I think, but haven't put new oil out in the garage in about a year. In researching this topic, the only timeline I've found is the need to put new oil every 2 weeks on the cotton balls.

o

There are many good suggestions here to eliminate mice...our problem has an added slant. The mice are nesting in my husband's car that is not kept in a garage and besides the mess, they're chewing up insulation under the hood plus wires which is sending off the "check engine" light. We've lived in our house for 15 yrs. and this is the first time we've had this problem.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

o
Getting rid of mice

I have mice in the walls of my kitchen.I caught one with a snap trap in the cupboard.I found a baby mouse that I figure wasabout 5 days old, just under my stove a few days later.I have not heard or seen any droppings for the past week. Im just wondering where they could have gone,there had to be more babies.I have completley cleaned out all my cupboards and behind appliances and removed any easy access to food.I still have traps with peanut butter that have not been touched.I am a little baffled as to where they could have gone to.I also did a thorough check outside by house to see if there was any cracks or openings that they could get into.I do not see anything at all.Anyone have any suggestions or know anything?

o

I bought a rat zapper a few weeks ago. One for my house and 2 for the warehouse at work. They are fantastic!

o

I tried the small grey live traps sold at Wal-Mart and the mice learn very quickly how to get the bait without setting off the trap door. And I mean, real quickly.

SO I switched to the spring-loaded, "hammer" type that snaps on the mouse. Results: two mice caught, one found blinded and disoriented by the device, but alive. Really disgusting, I felt sick.

I have to find better live traps. I'm willing to spend $.

o

downy dryer sheets apparently. not only work on mice but also on ants. hate the smell. I wonder if you can get some of that powdered and use on carpet like you would carpet freshner. also any and all mint plants work great. Hate the smell. ANd if anyone eats it they get minty fresh breath.

o

Hi,
I recently (Saturday, 4 days ago) acquired a car that had been sitting under a carport for approximately 2 years. There was a lot of mice poop on the front and back floor of the car. I cleaned that up when I got the car. Elderly people owned the car and weren't able to keep up with it. Anyhow, today I noticed 5 new, small poo pellets in the car. There is no food in the car. I don't want to try poison as I don't know where in the car it's living and some areas of the car I can't access. Has anyone ever dealt with a mouse in the car? I want to try the peppermint oil and the downy (I actually have some on hand). I'd appreciate any other suggestions. Thank you,
Shine

o

Have it detailed. Should cost about a 100.00 yeah i know money better spent elsewhere. However they get into lots of nooks and crannies and well they may be able to spook it.

o

in the event of a double post, please disregard:

find an empty can and drill holes through the middle of oppostie ends so you can pass a metal rod or wire through one end to the other ( in effect you have created a wheel and axle);

take a bucket and drill holes on opposite sides of the top of the pail;

pass metal rod, wire (axle) through one side of the pail, through can and back through other side...

pour water in pail to the depth of 6-10 inches;

bait can with fried bacon...

place 1 by 4 inch ramp to rim of pail...

in theory, mice get whiff of bacon scent, run up ramp and jump onto can and falls into pail...

it is worhy of note: floating victim always points to north...

good luck

o

i now have a different problem. I have a mouse or vole who has gotten into the house for the winter and onto the top of the stove in the kitchen. i am not seeing any signs of mice anywhere else except on top of the stove by one of the burners. Obviously I cannot use poison or snap traps or glue boards. I have pulled the stove out and checked behind it and cannot figure out for the life of me where it is getting in at as everything is sealed. I did buy a Tomcat Multi catch trap like those havaheart live traps but haven't caught anything so far. I don't plan to release it if I catch anything unless it is released to the trash can after my husband bashes it to death.

If anyone has a safe solution PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Don't mention a cat as Cats are not an option.

Penny

o

Take instant mashed potato place on a paper plate. The mice fill up on the dried potato and when they drink water the potato expands, killing the vermin... Just make sure there water source isn't in your home.
Hope this helps

o

I too discovered mice in my oven nesting in the pull out drawer beneath my burners. I have cleaned up and set traps but they are back!!! I am afraid to use poison or the glue traps and regualr traps do not fit in the space where they nest. Do the peppermint or dryer sheet methods really deter them? I have alos plugged in the electronic signal deterent...but we still have them. please help!

o

as stated in the rat tread...

1. Peanut butter M&Ms
2. Snap Traps

and for mice you can experiment
with plug ins, OVERSIZED glue traps
(always work great with m&ms) but make sure
they are the black poly ones or your in trouble,
the mice ate themselves out of the white ones the exterminators put down...

Nothing beats a cat.
A Dog is a plus if you have
rats/mutant-flying mice.
lol. the feces and urine detract
visitors to your residence on more
than a human level. rofl

peace
LS

o
reRE: Getting rid of mice

oops this is from jan... Hopefully the plague has passed. Our fingers are crossed . =)
peace
LS

o

Best bait to use in a mouse trap isn't peanut butter...ironically (and somewhat obviously) its mouse food from the pet shop. Works a treat, although if you use those humane traps they do work out how to get the bait but not get caught. Make sure the rest of the food is in a secure container else you may as well send out dinner invites to all mice within 10KM!

o

We found droppings in our kitchen Lazy Susan. The food wasn't touched, with the exception of a large can of mixed nuts. The plastic top had a perfectly round hole in it. How do you know if it's mice or something else? This is our weekend house; it's in a wooded area.

o

I have a problem with mice getting in my car airconditioner cage. Then when you get in the car and turn on the airconditioner in kills them. We have had to take the airconditioner cage out and clean it twice. I always keep my windows up so they are getting in underneith somehow. I don't know where to put anything at to stop them from getting in. I have a dog outside that hates cats so can't go that rout. It is a real hard process to take the air conditioner apart so don't want to do this again if possible. Plus my car stinks for days after you get them out. Any suggestions on what I can do.

o

I agree with the previous post, the Rat Zapper is the cleanest, most effective method of mice and rat disposal. Here is a web site that will give you more information. www.ratmousezapper.com.

o

This is tried and true, no fooling. We haven't had a mouse in the house for 14 years now. The exterminator told us to buy some fine mesh screening, cut it up in strips, wrap it around a pencil and then shove it with the help of a butter knife into the breathing holes of the exterior brick. Make sure that the screening pokes out from the brick just a little bit. Remember, mice can climb, so do every breathing hole on your house. Since mice do everything by feel, the screening scratches their face and they don't like it so they leave. You can even buy a roll of 0000 fine wool (the kind that you use for sanding) and shove that into the breathing holes too. It works the same. I came across this very same method on two sites that I was on yesterday.

Today my mice problems consist of mice that are building nests in my dry rock wall. I'm going to put mounds of tightly rolled screening in between the rocks and we'll see if that works. If it doesn't, I'll use chemical warfare. Those little ba----ds are chewing up my hosta plants and taking them to their holes in the wall. I'm buying a product called Headhunters tomorrow which is guaranteed 100% to stop anything that bites from chewing on plants. I'm really p----d off!!!!

o

I agree with an earlier post, the Rat Zapper works the best. They are very easy to use. You can check them out at ratmousezapper.com. I will include a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rat Zapper

o

Thanks for all the great ideas. An abandoned store burned down last week which caused the fury critters to show up. Or it was my neighbors across the street moving out. They were a bit nasty so it was probably the later.

I joined up just to reply to one lady who asked what do you do when you find the still alive? No bashing is necessary. My grandma (not I :)) puts the trap in a plastic bag with paper towels drenched in ammonia. She then ties the bag shut and sets it outside in the garbage. The mouse will eventually suffocate.

o

Our summer home had been a mouse shelter the winter before last...so last fall I left the power on and plugged in a Victor 'ultrasound device'...............no sign of any mouse visitors!!! Will be leaving the device in place this fall as well.

o

HELP!! ANYBODY!!!PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!
This little furball, you know, Mickey, is just making me
absolutely crazy. I've tried everything. Plug-in thingies,
snap-traps, glue boards (you'd be amazed how far a mouse can jump when 10-14 glue boards are connected across the entire width of a doorway). It's like I have the Cirque de'Soleil Mouse. I am running out of patience and money. I've also sealed holes and cracks along the base boards, under the carpeting, in the closets, etc. I've cleaned, shampooed the rugs, even put oil of peppermint inside my stove. I think it's an old dead husband coming back to haunt me.

Although I have a minty fresh apt., my problem still exists.
I don't want this thing gone, I need it gone, at any cost,
I don't care how. My last resort is dusting off the ol' 45 and just start shooting for target practice. I know, that's cruel. Sorry, I'm just desperate, is all.

I'm openminded to suggestions beyond those listed above.

Thank you all for your help, in advance.

o

windrunner uses my favorite and the one i've had the most success with. The mouse catchin' bucket.
Only difference is that I use nylon string and a toilet paper roll. Put a small dollop of peanut butter in the toilet paper roll.
Yep, as soon as they hit the toilet paper role they fall in the water and drown.
Works every time. No mess, no blood and guts, no starving rodents stuck to glue boards, no mice doing their death dance in the walls from poison. Dump the bucket every day or two. Remember that the mice need 2-3 days to find it initially, so don't give up. I use this to keep mice out of my summer house while doing field work in a remote location. Since it's a known hantavirus hot spot the less I have to deal with them or handle traps the better.

o

Peppermint oil works great and it doesn't kill the little critters, just drives them way. They really hate the smell. Just make sure you get 100% pure peppermint oil, anything less just isn't strong enough.

Put a dabble on cotton balls (stuff is really potent so you only need 2-4 drops) and put them around where you suspect them to be. We do this once a month and haven't seen or heard any for years.

o

Another variation on the bucket trap that's easy to make, but hard to explain. (this one can be covered to keep out larger animals)

with a 1" spade bit, drill 2 holes directly opposite each other about 4" from the top of a 5 gallon bucket. Directly above one of these holes, drill a 1" entrance hole (or smaller if you are worried about catching squirrels).

Make a t-shaped stick:
Take a 3/4" dowel and cut 2 pieces about 3" long and one piece about 5" loger than the diameter of the bucket. Notch one end of each short piece to fit tightly perpendicular to the long dowel. Nail these across from each other about 1/3 of the way down the long stick to form a lower case "t" shape.

Insert the long end of the stick into the hole below the entrance hole in the bucket from the inside. Feed it through until you can put the other end into the bucket and push it back through the opposite hole.

To keep the t-stick from working it's way in, center the t-stick and mark it on each end about 1/2" outside of the bucket. Remove it and drill a small hole at each mark. Put the t-stick back in the bucket and put a 2" bolt with 2 nuts on it through the holes you just drilled. Put 2 more nuts on the other end of the bolt. Use the nuts closest to the dowel to center the bolt so that the bolt is sticking out evenly on both sides of the dowel, and the farthest nuts to lock the first ones in place.

Set the trap where mice can get to the long end of the t-stick with the entrance hole above it. Put peanut butter on the ends of the short sticks. Mice will crawl along the dowel and when they go for the peanut butter their weight will make the stick spin them off into the bucket.

To use as a kill trap, Either use water or non-toxic RV antifreeze in the bottom of the trap. If you use water, add 1/4" of vegetable oil to keep the smell down and prevent mosquitos from breeding.

If you live trap them, you must take care to check the trap and deal with the mice every morning, or you'll have one fat mouse and a lot of dead ones. Use car exhaust or vinegar and baking soda to kill live trapped mice. Much quicker than drowning.

If you release them to make them someone else's problem (and probably starve them to death anyway), do so >5 miles from your house, as they will come back if released closer. If they're in your house, release them right outside and watch them - they'll immediately head back in. Fill the holes with a mixture of steel wool and silicon caulking. Repeat as necessary.

o

I had heard on a radio talk show that OIL OF PEPPERMINT was the best thing to use, not peppermint oil or extract. The mice are allirgic to the oil of peppermint. and they remember that your house has that smell. so i bought some. put a few drops on cotton balls and put them everywhere i could think in my house. cupboards, cabinits, closets, laundry room, even in the atic, i replace them every few weeks. not only have i not seen any mouse droppings but i have this hint of peppermint all threw my home. it's kinda nice. also i have put them in the truck glove box and one under the seat, (we hardly ever use the truck and i found droppings in the glove box) haven't seen anything. also we have a 74 ta that sits under a car cover and i put a 2 in there as well.

o

Hi, I'm having a problem with mice getting under the hood of my SUV. They want to get under the dash by the vent and fan. I have turned the fan on twice now and killed a mouse! The interior smells terrible for at least 2 weeks, then these maggots come through the vent onto the carpet! It's awful! It's very difficult to take the dash apart. Any suggestions how I can keep these critters out of there permanently? Would really appreciate it. Thanks.

o

I had rats building nest up under my tractor's hood and light housing. I can't use snap traps for fear of getting squirrels or cats. I bought the Rat Zapper Ultra. I set it under the tractor and in one week, I've got five dead mice and three rats! It works great!!

o
Need help desperately to get rid of mice

I have a rat zapper, I have set out purina assault, and I have peppermint essential oil on cottonballs all over my house. I still have mice. One skampered across my leg last night in bed. I saw one in the kitchen last night as well.

We have an old stove/oven with a small oven on top that has a vent. I think these mice may be coming from that vent which vents in the attic. Husband has not thrown purina assault in the attic yet.

I can't sleep at night or anything. I've seen mice running along the top of my husbands shirts in the closet. I'm worried about them getting in the kid's beds. What else can I do?

I've called some pest control places and it is really expensive. I wonder if this is something I can handle on my own or if I need to call a pro.

Thanks

Cindy

o

I need help! I have a mouse or mice in my room and I haven't been able to get a good night's sleep in a week. I know that I have an irrational fear of mice, but still. I'm afraid of them and they are scary and disgusting. I have seen the one(s) in my room mulitple times. I have poison set out and so far that has killed 2 mice in other parts of my house, but there is still one in my room. I have a trap set out with bread in it, but that is not working. I need to sleep! Please help!

o

Get yourself a RatZapper and you'll have that mouse in 24 hours!

o

I noticed under the step of my stairs a whole in the corner of the step and actually found a drop on the step of the stairs ,so now I know I have a mouse or mice in the house and hoping is not a dirty RAT! yukk. I bought one of the black and decker thing that you plug in the wall does anyone know if these things really wrok ? and how about amonia if I dip[pedwith cotton ball and put near the wholes would that work to drive them away? I NEED ANSWERS!!! PLEASE I can not even walk around my home without freakn out at every little thing.. What can I get or do for now before it gets too much,another thing is I rent this house should I let the owner know about this or is this my problem?

o

Please help!
I live in an old row home (that has been 100% rehabbed), and now that it is getting cold the mice are looking for warm places to go. Unfortunately they have found my spare bedroom upstairs to be their safe haven!

We have the Orkin man, Ray, come every other month to put down sticky boxes and tracking dust. About 2 weeks ago he set two snap traps under the bathroom sink. He saw two holes where our pipes run and instantly claimed that would be a problem spot for us. That night both traps went off! Since then we have trapped another and seen one in the back bedroom, AGAIN! We sealed up the holes around the pipes, but now the one on the loose has chewed a bigger whole in the baseboard, where there was already a decent size gap between that and the carpet.

What should I do? We have sealed up that hole too, but my intuition is telling me we still have one lurking around. Especially because there were droppings on the couch which is located int he back bedroom! I really hate feeling so tense in my own house. I am just waiting for one to run out in front of me again and I really want to take care of the problem. We have also tried the Black and Decker plug-ins, but that doesn't seem to be working. I guess I'll try the oil of peppermint next. Where can I get that? I am willing to try just about anything!

o

i live in a trailer in southwestern pa and now since it's getting cold outside i'm having mice issues. i've tried the instant patato's it didn't work. really how good is the peppermint oil theory works?

jim

o

We live in an apartment building. We hear mice in the walls but so far have not had any indication they have made it into my apartment. Is there any way to kill the mice that are in the walls somehow?

o

I'm also looking for ways to get rid of rodents in my house, hopefully without killing them.
I found this useful info on CDC web site. They don't recommend glue traps and live traps since the mice might get scare and urinate. The urine could expose you to Hanta virus.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps_stc/stc_spot.htm

o

I made a little site that deals with a lot of pest control matters. I'll post the how to get rid of mice page.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get rid of mice

o

The mice in my place are either very clever or very stupid! I tried most of the humane traps - the one that catch but don't kill the mouse, including glue traps and Ultrasonic mice control. They all failed so I tried mouse traps - the traditional ones with cheese or tuna as bait, new ones and even one that is a black box but is meant to give out an electric shock. The mice didn't touch those either so finally I tried poison. Guess what, the mice eat the poison and not the cheese! Does this make sense to anyone?

o

Okay. I was in my kitchen and I saw or at least thought I saw something small and gray shoot pass my floor and into the furnace closet. My friend came over and could not find any droppings or holes in food boxes. He feels that I'm just seeing things or the mouse just arrived. I have a cat who is not hunting out or acting like anything is amiss. Do all cats chase mice or is that not in some cats' job description?

o

Hello,
I have an unwanted mouse in my house. So far i have only seen 1, but im not sure. I have two small children so i cannot use poisons or harmful traps. I tried the glue traps, but the mouse got stuck 2 times, and then got free. So i need a new idea.

o

Try a bucket trap.

o

This website that was posted about how to get rid of mice is HOG WASH! it says that mice like dirty places.. NOT TRUE. our house is clean.. no droppings of food anywhere, we are clean oraganized people here/

as for the peppermint oil. .don't work!
as for the dryer sheets.. don't work!
altra sonic.. don't work!

The only things I found that works is a FRESH plastic mouse trap.
I will try peanut butter on one of the old ones and let you know if it works

o

We discovered some mice in our garage recently. I'm using the Tomcat LiveCatch Traps, and I've caught 1 mouse each of the last three days. However, I had to buy four of the traps to find one that was not defective. In the first trap, one of the counterweights on the trap door was missing. The second two were missing a small plastic piece between the two "ramps" that keep the mice in the trap. I don't bait the trap, although I do put in a cotton square for the mice to shred since it's hard to see if anything's been in the trap otherwise. (I've released the caught mice in fields near a local college.) If anyone has a humane trap that's not working, I recommend checking it out thoroughly. It may be defective.

o

my husband set out the hammer trap with peanut butter.

mouse ate peanut butter. trap was still set.

i created a better mouse trap. i perched it on the ledge of the sink and filled the sink with an inch or 2 of water. in theory, the mouse would want the peanut butter and being that it was perched on the ledge, his weight was cause it to fall into the sink. mouse would drown.

well, the mouse fell into the sink.

unfortuntaely he did it while i was home. i saw him swimming around in the water looking for a place to get out. i could not let him drown. he was very cute.

i picked him up by the tail and placed him in a plastic bag. i got my shoes on and walked up the street and released him under a street light.

that is 3 for 3 now. we have caught three mice and released three mice. one got his foot caught in a hammer trap and was in pain. the foot didn't make it but the mouse did. two were caught in the sink. i just wish they would die humanely... perhaps that's an oxymoron.

i ordered some moth balls with my shopping order. i read here that they hate the smell (who doesn't) and it will drive them from your house. hopefully the smell doesn't drive the family from the house! i also orderd steel wool to place in any cracks i can find. suppossedly they have very sensitive faces and the steel bothers them. they won't enter the hole. honestly, i do not know where they are coming in from. they are so tiny they could probably squeeze through even the smallest crack. i also don't know what they are eating. i still cannot find any signs.

(sigh)

i think i am going to order the ratmousezapper. the contraption is expensive, about $27 but it seems a quick way to for the mouse die -- being electrocuted. and folks here swear its a good product.

o

I wouldn't totally rely on the ratzapper~~ We also have it! There have been many mornings we have awaken to the blinking light. Only there is nothing in there? I've also seen products similar to this at hardware and dept stores! Much less expensive. I too bought it by recommendations from here.....I too still have mice!!! *~*

o

is it true that if you are seeing mice in your house, that means you are infested with them? that is what i read. we have seen 3 in this house we just moved into, one which was on top of my stove last night! i am repulsed by them and always on edge. now i don't even want to use my stove because i'm afraid there is a nest in there or something. yuck.

o
Can Mice crawl up stairwells?

We live on the third floor of a condo and have recently discovered mice. We're in the process of sealing up everything and I'm wondering how severe I should make the door sweeps. Thanks

o

update: we've caught 3 mice in snap traps, and monday i put d-con behind the stove and in the furnace closet and as of about 2 days ago there have been no sign of mice!! so i hope that is the end of that. i still have traps set and the d-con too. i don't like having poison in the house with my 4 year old son but i watch him close and this is just temporary.

o

We have had a fairly large infestation in my area this winter. We have had a warmer than normal season, and I think mice are more active than if it were fridgid. I did some research and decided to go with the tried and true "2 for .79 snap traps baited with peanut butter. I got my first within an hour and 5 in the first 24 hours.

Here's the kicker: I also killed a small mole! It wasn't actually caught in the trap...it was dead next to the snapped trap. There was no sign of him having been hit by the hammer. I think he may have been scurrying along the wall, bumped into the trap, it snapped and he died of fright. A little mole-style heart attack.

I am curious to try the bucket, though.

o

I need to know if moth balls will push the mice out of my home? I have seen them in the kitchen and down in the basement . so this is what I have done. i put the moth balls under the sinh, dishwasher, and stove. And then I have spread these threw the basment will this get them out . Please let me know thank you

o

well, i haven't seen any more mice. are the moth balls working??? who knows! sometimes when i sit in my living room, i can hear a sracthing or scampering type of noise -- it is odd but i assume something is in the ceiling/wall. i don't think it's once of these tiny little mice... squirrels??? how the heck do I get inside the wall to throw poison in there?

o

Well it started this winter with seeing one mouse. Now I can't seem to get rid of them. I've tried mouse traps w\ peanut butter it worked intell I found gone P.B but no mouse . So my husband fixed the traps to go off easier. Got a few, but still mice. Tried plug-ins. Did not work! Tried downy sheets seemed to work. But didn't. As a last resort I used d-con, Have only seen one since, But geeze the smell. Ive looked everywhere they must have died in the walls. I agree with above how the heck do we get them in there. I don't know what to do about the smell, anyone have any ideas? ( not just coverups ,candles etc) I called pest control and they said its abviously working (dotosmell) but there has to be another way. I live next to a field.They will come back....what to do ???? Does Terminx truely work? Does getting a cat truely work?? At this point I have no animals , but would get a cat if it would help.Id like one anyways.But my husband is not for animals in the house, but we have mice, what could be worse ( don't answer that:))
I agree with above its not the cleanliness of the house they just come. I have a clean nice home. It has nothing to do with that!! I do rent , is this something I should take to them? ITs embarrassing but a simple fact.
I speak for all of us when I say there has to be an actual
answer!! any ideas?????? Thankyou

o

I've caught four mice with a humane trap purchased from veganstore.com (link below), and I have had no problems since. You MUST check the trap several times a day, since it's very cruel to let any living creature starve to death (whether on a glue trap or in a humane trap!). If you use a live trap, simply release the mouse in an area at least 100 feet from your house (preferably somewhere wooded or with some plant cover). You can use these traps over and over indefinitely.

Please, I encourage everyone not to use the sticky glue traps. Can you imagine being painfully stuck to something--fully conscious and aware--until you starve to death? Some mice actually chew off their own limbs, skin, and muscles in an attempt to escape. Have a little mercy on a creature that's not intentionally doing anything wrong and who can experience suffering just like you and me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Humane Mouse Trap

o

I agree the glue traps are awful. Used once and never again! I think closing up where they come in is the only way to eliminate the problem. But that problem is finding it!!!! Years ago we had a terrible problem with mice in a mobile home we rented, we tried cats, had 2! Still had the mice! One snowy day while walking around the perimeter, was all it took! Found the trail of mouse droppings and went inside to find the hole, stuffed it with steel wool, Problem Solved!

I wish we could be so lucky here in our home. The best thing I have done was to put all food from boxes or paper packaging into glass jars. It as made a big difference.

Those who use snap traps and pnut butter~ my neighbor says to use raw bacon because they have to pull it, never tried it but it sounds right! Have had many traps cleaned of pnut butter!

o

We recently heard the rodent in a wall and ceiling. I used Decon, and I believe we got the thing, but now we have the smelling dead rodent in the wall or ceiling. It is not accessable, and I've explored the attic area. It is not unbearable, but it'll be nice when the smell is gone. How long will the smell last?

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

o

Help!!! I think we got rid of a mother mouse, and now the babies are all over the house (including my daughter's bed, who may now never sleep again!) How do you get rid of the babies? They aren't going to the traps (we have haveaheart and hammer type) Maybe they're too young to eat. They don't act like normal mice -- they just run out right in the open. We're freaking out here!

o

Hi,
I would rather not kill the mouse (mice) we have. We have two traps that are 'supposed' to catch them live. One is a "Wilson" tip trap. The mouse enters one end, and when he goes for the bait at the other end, the trap tips, the door closes, and he's in. The other, a "Victor" is similar, but with a different door and tip configuration. Does anyone know if either of these work?
Thanks,
John

o

I have had signs of mice in my kitchen but haven't actually seen one. I have not had luck with the "catch them live" traps, as they have not caught any mice. And I have not wanted to use the other traps that kill the mice. The things that I am trying seem to be working. I bought the ultrasonic plug ins that are supposed to drive them away. I have also carefully plugged up any holes that I can find with steel wool. AND I bought pure peppermint oil that mice supposedly do not like the smell of. I put the peppermint oil on a cotton ball and put it whereever there is known mice traffic. I have no idea which tactic is working best or if it is a combination. The peppermint oil can be found in pharmacies and it is a little pricey...$15 for a very small amount. But, if it works, it is worth every penny. And my house smells wonderful!

o

Another cry for help! We have mice at work!! I work in a school and every morning I come in and find mouse droppings all over my desk. We have no food anywhere, except in sealed containers in metal boxes (not near my desk!) Over spring break, I came back to find that the mice had climbed up onto my note books and eaten the entire top of my bonsai schefflerra off - it was quite a salad for them!! It is barely recovering. I moved it off my desk and onto a file cabinet across the room, but even after a month, I still have mice droppings daily all over my desk! It is disgusting and I lose precious time every day cleaning and disinfecting after them. What can I do to stop them from coming onto my desk? I share an office with 7 other teachers and we are beside ourselves with this problem. We have done all the variations of traps and catch them regularly, but the school is too big to get rid of them all. I just want to keep them off my desk! Any suggestions?

o

I went to Lowe's and bought the ultrasonic plug in things from B&D and put one in each room downstairs...about $13 for two and has a nightlight to boot. No more mouse droppings, also put one in the attic. You can play around with the sticky traps for ever they will just keep attracting them. When they find a place to nest in your insulation and multiply then you have a problem. The poison that stays with them until they consume water is a great idea until they die in your walls and funk up the house. Get the electronic deterrents and keep them away, then close off any entrance into your home larger than your pinkie finger....bring a 12-pack.

o

"Nothing beats a cat. "

HahahaHAAAAAAAAAA!

We have 6, count em 6, cats. And rats. And mice. And not one cat has ever caught a rat or mouse.

Please do not bring a living creature into your house as if it were an appliance for catching vermin.

Kristin

o

I use the green live-trap mentioned in a post by Amy a while back. I've caught the mama mouse and two babies. Those are the only ones I'm aware of having, so now I'm on to cleanup and see if the droppings return.

Don't bother with mothballs. I had my apartment smelling so strongly of mothballs it kept me away, and I was still catching mice in the trap. Don't try bleach either. I filled the sink with bleach overnight & found droppings right next to it and the box of mothballs the next morning. There wasn't even any food there! I guess they were just searching?! I don't even understand how they can get up that high to begin with. Anyway...

What is a good way to tell if the mice have all been removed? I've NEVER heard any scratching/running sounds in the walls, so that's out. How many days/weeks without tripped traps and droppings would indicate that they've moved out? Thanks for your help!

o

I have MightyMice, SuperMice and LotsaMice.

I, too, have tried all of the conventional traps, catchers, killers, get-ridders, poisons and "Professional" exterminators. And, I've tried a few, actually several, of the desperate things one's mind can invent. Sometimes an accidental find can be worth a try. So, with nothing else to do but observe and detest my mouse house, I came up with some novel approaches to hopefully eliminate MightyMouse, SuperMouse and LotsaMouse. I invite you to check out my Imagination Factory solutions here:

--> http://jhayslett.dashjr.org/Mouse_in_the_House.html <--

It may not kill, eliminate or rid your house of the house-mouse, but it will give you some imaginative ideas that have worked at least once for me.

Jack the Quack

Here is a link that might be useful: Mouse In The House

o

• Posted by cziga Zone 5: (Toronto) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 9, 06 at 14:38

I would never use a glue trap either. I think that if you're going to intentionally kill the mice, (and i do want to get rid of them), its best to do it quickly. Peanut butter never really worked for us. However, rip off a small piece of bread and dip it in maple syrup. That maple syrup worked like a charm, and the mice love it :)

We were also told about the poison that will dehydrate the mouse after they eat it. So then if they do die in your walls, there isn't a long and stinky decomposing process. We have never used them . . .but they might be an option if you have mice that are avoiding the standard hammer traps. You don't have to worry about dead mice in the walls. Just make sure you put the poison in the cupboards, under the sinks, and in places away from where pets might play around.

We catch most of the mice in our house by mistake. I hate setting out the traps because i don't like disposing of the dead mouse afterwards, so we dont usually set traps unless the problem becomes bad. A lot of mice drown themselves in our house by accident. They fall into the sink overnight, or into the laundry tub . . . you come downstairs in the morning, and there is a dead mouse floating in the water. Yuch! But a lot of them are stupid little critters, aren't they?

You can tell that you're out of mice when you set the traps out for a couple weeks and catch nothing. You may still have a mouse or two, but if you do, they are the smart ones who will stay out of your pantry and out of your sight. And those are the ones I can live with.

o

If you're using snap traps, forget the peanut butter and bacon. Set the trap first, then scatter flour over the whole trap. I use a small doll sifter I got when a child. Mice positively cannot resist flour. If you have small children in the house, set the traps after they go to bed. check them first thing when you get up. If your dog sticks his nose in one, he won't do it again. I got this tip from an exterminator. It works. Keep setting traps until you don't catch any more.

o

I had a huge mouse problem last year. I swear they would play head games with me. Sitting there poking their head around corners etc. I went and bought oil of peppermint today. You can buy it at the drug store for just under 10 bucks. If you can't find it, ask the pharmacist because mine was behind the pharmacy counter.

Like many of you mice scare the crap out of me. The only place they really go is my kitchen.
Pest control told me that if you have mice in the basement or the attic to put the poison there (if you are using poison) do not put the poison in your living space because then it gives the mice a reason to come into your personal space. If you put the poision in the attic or basement the mice will stay there cause that is where the food is.

Last night I went to lock the back door and a black mouse came out from behind the stove. I started sweating and was terrified. I went and bought a cat today. I am done with mice.

Here are a few pointers..(some already mentioned)
-get 100% oil of peppermint (they are illergic to it) and put on a fleecy sheet or put on cotton balls and place everywhere. Behind the stove etc. etc.
-Get some mothballs and put under your house or in the attic or basement. They hate the smell.
-get some steel wool. Don't forget mice have no back bone and can fit into the tiniest of spaces. Mice don't like steel wool on their teeth.
Lastly, some people wonder how they can have so many mice in there homes. It is because they are only pregant for 3 weeks. Each mouse can have up to 9 babies that is how you can have many in such a short period of time. Sick eh?

o

We have an RV that sits in the winter. Last spring we found we had mice. Read where Bounce and mothballs worked. This spring when we opened the RV, we found mouse poop on the bounce in several places, and babies where the mothballs were. Now we have the prblem of getting rid of the mothball smell. Any thoughts on that?

o

Using MINT:
I read about this and tried the mint approach last night. I had some spearmint growing in my garden outside and I bought a small 1 oz. jar of peppermint oil at the local healthfood store.

I grabbed some scissors and cut up the spearmint and place in the areas I had cleaned up mouse poop (backsplash by sink, drawers in kitchen, beyond cooktop, top of fridge, etc.

I also put soe drops of the peppermint oil on Q Tips (I didn't have any cotton balls) and on some tissue. Also cut some mint and put sprigs in 4 oz glasses here and there.....ground some of the mint in my garbage disposal.

.......got up this morning......no mice poop!........so far so good.........more later.

o

I have a three year ongoing battle in an apartment.

Year one was fixed by the radiator pipe gap with hotmelt. Needless to say he chewed my phone cord (not all 4 wires thankfully) so phone was back up in a day.

Year two I fixed with a sheet of Tin and screwed it to the flooring by the radiator and wall. However I heard them CLIMBING the wall (had to have been a squirl based on sound)

This year is starting early, so I jumped and bought BOTH extracts; almond to use in traps. I heard them this morning by guess what; the radiator!! The one I didn't do anything to last year. I may have to tin the entire wall edging. AND get traps

For those of you with experience, HOW IN TARNATION do they get in the subfloor on the second floor? It drives me batty I do have water pipes inside my outer wall I can hear, so they may be able to follow those down from the attic to the flooring.

FOLLOW UP ON SIZE: It takes 5mm hole (think bic pen) for them to get in.

Many of you have mentioned Camphor balls (moth balls). These work OUTSIDE in your garage. DON'T use them in the bedroom or kitchen, the odor is not worth it and will do nothing to deter them from your home. Make a perimiter around your car and they won't cross that threashold. You'll have to air the car out for a few minutes when starting your drive, but you won't have the mouse get in the air intake as we did last year the day after it was serviced; and no need to put them in the car.

Let the battle start!!

o

Update on mint and one little mouse:

Everywhere I put the fresh cut spearmint or the drops of peppermint oil the mouse has steered clear from.

So nite before last I open one kitchen drawer that I hadn't done and voila...there is this little mouse sitting in there! He/She/It scurried up and out the back......I wish I'd gone in prepared with a butterfly net or can of Raid (depending on how much you value life).......but I just was riding high on that the mint was working.

Basically what's going on is the mint IS working but all I can figure is the mouse doesn't have anywhere to go.....the cupboards are well made tight custom cabinets and I think this was a field mouse that got in when we had some doors open...evidence points to this with 2 bedrooms and then off the deck to the kitchen (winter's coming c'mon in!). Guess we invited them in........big mistake (like your Mother-in-law).

I guess I'll go the live trap rout next as I had de-minted one of the drwers and put in a round DCon mouse trap with some peanut butter inside..........it is worthless. There were new droppings in the drawer next to the trap but no mouse.

In my further studies I have read that mice ovulate once every day and a half, so I'm very motivated to resolve this. Also, I read further up this thread about a lady who suggested instant mashed potato flakes that the mouse will eat then when drinking water it will bloat them and proble solved..........except in my reading it stated that a mouse doesn't have to drink one drop of water for their entire life.

Onward and upward............pray for me (and my visitor).

o

The town just put in a new park right down the street, I assume anything living there has made a bee line for my house... My house is 100 yrs old and has a field stone foundation. In the three years I lived here I never had a problem until this week.

Monday morning I woke up, walked into my kitchen and discovered a mouse had been on my counter. First thing I did was call an exterminator who told me they would charge $300 to come in and put out the bait, and there would be no guarantee because of the foundation. I decided this was not an option.

Armed with a credit card, I went and bought 12 snap traps and 3 trays of the poisonous bait. I put the bait in my basement and set four traps in my kitchen. I woke up tuesday, sure I had caught something. The traps were empty. No mice and NO BAIT! Yet there were dropping next to the trap, as if to mock me. I decided to give it a few more days, and every morning it was the same thing.

Thursday, I went to the local hardware store and in a panic explained what my problem was. The sales man, laughed and handed me a package of the Victor Sonic PestChaser. I looked at him doubtfully and he assured me this would work. He claims to swear by this product, said he just sent 2 packs of these to his daughter, and then went on to say this would work as fast as 5-6 hours. (Yeah, right... but I was willing to try anything). I bought a few packs. (Fairly cheap, $21.99 for 3 in a package and doesn't bother my dogs)I went straight home and plugged one into every room in my house including the basement and waited. The next day, I felt brave and actually removed all the traps. Here it is, three days later and I have not seen the smallest sign of a mouse.
Could this be victory?? Hopefully!

Try the sonic things, the Victor brand is working for me.

o

The continuing mint story:

..........well, the mouse learned to tolerate the mint....so that makes me wonder about mothballs as well.....or ammonia. Although who could tolerate ammonia?

At the end of the evening my wife said I hear the mouse in the kitchen then she went to bed. I was already fed up with cleaning mouse poop every day for the last week so I armed myself with whatever I could from beneath the kitchen sink...which in this case was a can of Raid ant and cockroach killer.

Long story short, there was rustling in the recycle bin and I just had at it.............didn't reel great about it, but it was over PDQ. Took the bin out to the garbage.

Unfortunately when I came back in, there was a noise behind the toaster.........turns out another mouse was there and I was hell bent trying to spray it while it scurried along the backsplash past the sink then off to who knows where? I did make some contact with the bugger and perhaps it went off to die somewhere.....although I haven't smelled anything since it hapened night before last. I also haven't seen any mouse poop.

Now my 15 yr. old son says he woke up to squeaking in his closet......he's got his own little 'rat's nest' in there that I have been after him to clean out and now he has good reason to do so. I think I may just close the room up tight and bomb it with flea stuff.

It's not humane, but I don't want a bunch of babies getting born before I address this.

o

I was in our kitchen one night and heard what I assumed must be a large cockroach trying to get into a package of food in our food closet. I hit a few food boxes to see if that would flush it out of hiding and I saw something that looked like a large roach antennae and thought yuck that is the biggest roach I have ever seen. I hit the box it was hiding behind and that's when I saw that it was actually a mouse! I was tired and couldn't believe my eyes at first. It was a shock but I have to say that having never seen a house mouse before, it was awfully cute! But I knew that in short time it would not be the only one. I went online to read info. here and elsewhere. I decided on using a live trap. First I cleaned up all the mouse droppings and threw away all the food items contaminated by it. I left some tightly sealed boxes in the food closet so the mouse/mice would still explore in there and I set 2 live mouse traps baited with a little dab of peanut butter, a few raw oatmeal flakes, and a piece of dried preserved plum (that is the plastic bag it/they had chewed through, the plums have a strong smell) and made sure that I put them as far back in the trap as possible so the mouse would have to go all the way to the back of the trap. I placed one trap on either side of the hole where the hot water heater spigot enters the closet, close against the wall. The next morning both trap doors were closed but only one felt heavier and warm. I released the mouse at a nearby public park with a lake. It looked at me for a few seconds before scurrying off. I have to admit it was so cute that I hoped that it would be ok. I know they are house pests and can cause health problems etc. (thankfully not the hanta virus though, think I read that just the deer mouse is a carrier?) but I'm glad I didn't have to kill it. I read that they are the species of mouse that are used (there has to be a better way) in science labs. And ironically while a huge pest problem for homeowners etc. they have actually greatly benefitted people in general through medical science (disease cures/ medicines etc.). But actually having them in your house eating your food, pooping/urinating, multiplying rapidly etc. is another thing altogether! Caught one more the next night and since then thankfully not another one. I'm repeating some advice already given here: different websites have said the only way to be permanently rid of them (after you are sure that there are no more in your house) is to seal off well ALL places where they can enter your house, all cracks, gaps and openings 1/4" and larger (the size of a pencil eraser) around the foundation, anywhere utility pipes and wiring enter your house etc. And be aware that they can climb rough verticle surfaces such as brick, jump 12" high, climb wires etc. And some of the materials to use to do the repairs are heavy gauge metal hardware cloth, a mixture of caulk and steel/copper/bronze wool or the wool by itself(they don't like to chew through it; the copper and bronze won't rust like the steel wool) or caulk by itself, expanding foam, concrete etc. Store all food in thick plastic or metal containers etc. Since they eat mainly between dusk and dawn, try as much as possible each night to keep food crumbs etc. swept/vacuumed from all floors and counters. It's all kind of a hassle but definitely better than constantly trying to get rid of mice. When they are denied sources of food (a website said they can get all the water they need from food sources) and shelter, they will go elsewhere. If we ever move I'll be sure to check for house pests and make sure all possible points of entry are sealed off well first!

o

........haven't seen any evidence of mice since my Raid incident......wife says she still smells the Raid residue and I replied that we probably won't ave any ants or cockroaches for the next 10 yrs. (we keep a clean house anyway, but crumbs happen).

...felt bad for the mouse but life is a risk for all of us.

o

The Continuing Saga of Mice:

I saw this method somewhere on this site or a different link.........it costs nothing, is humane and it works.

Last night before going to bed I took an empty toilet paper roll and flattened the bottom so it made a tunnel and could set flat on the kitchen counter. I put a little dab of peanut butter on one end and hung the baited end out over the counter with the kitchen trash can directly below the counter. The trashcan is about 2 feet tall and smooth walled. This is important because mice can jump up about 12" and can climb rough vertical surfaces.

I stuck the toilet paper roll tunnel next to the backsplash and woke up to the paper roll and mouse in the trashcan.........I didn't even spend a lot of time flattening the T.P. roll......just kinda half assed it and it worked!

Took the mouse for a Sunday morning drive and wished it good luck..........save yourself some time & $ and try this method.

o

I tried all kinds of traps and bait to get rid of mice in my trailor and finally tried the large spring RAT traps from Victor. I take a fresh peanut in the shell and secure it to the trap with a plastic bag tie. I am still on the same trap and peanut and have caught 16 mice. It really works!

o

I am looking for a solution to the following problem- Here is my story then I will tell you my problem in hopes someone out there can help me.

I know I have mice because I saw one trying to get into my bird cage from a box next to the bird cage, I jumped up and it ran back into the box--I got my son to take the box outside and told him to dump it over the trashcan; little did I know the smart mouse had chewed a hole in the bottom of the box so when my son went outside the mouse got out of the box and ran across the the yard & under a hedge.

Okay now that I thought the mouse was gone, I proceeded to clean up the bird seed (as I always do) that gets on the floor thinking this is what is attracting them, so I start to vacuum the floor(I just learned not to do this before disenfecting with bleach)and thought maybe I should move the couch away from the wall to get the dropping but to my surprise the droppings were not next to the wall but were directly under my couch. I am just sick to think I may have a nest in my couch and afraid that if I turn the couch over there maybe babies inside the couch and that they might get out scatter inside my house; I can take the couch outside and then turn over but if they get out they may still get inside my house.

So here is my problem-how do I check to see if there is a nest inside my couch and if there is, what is the best way to remove them? Should I throw the couch out?

This whole thing makes me squeemish. I have had traps set from previous times and they are still set (from 6 months ago) but nothing. This morning as I was filling my dogs water bowl I felt something brush my baby toe; thinking is was the ears from my basset hound, I looked down and nope she wasn't any where around--so it must of been a MOUSE!!! Yuck..... I am waiting for someone to give some great advise as quickly as possible...

o

The mice are worse this year, we had lots of cool weather in Sept. I put Decon out like crazy and hate the smell when they die, but I have to find them, then hubby takes them out. I would like to find some easier way. We Plug up the holes etc. But live in an older home. Years ago a carpenter told me in the old homes with basements, the house sits on the concrete and there is sort of a runway space there and that is probably where the mice are coming in. I can't find a way to fill that. Then a farmer told me that they sprayed their foundation with that liquid Lysol. Well the you can smell that a block away. I don't know if any of this stuff works. I do know that if we keep up with the poisen and old fashioned traps, usually all thru October, that by TG, they are usually gone and we rarely have anymore all winter. I got to MFA and buy those poisen 'bars' and put them in my outdoor shed, and they must eat them and go off and die before they get to the house. We live on the last street in town, bordering a corn/bean field and when the farmer cuts the crop, we have mice. Then across the highway there are grain elevators. I have actually been in the front yard and seen mice coming across the grass!!! Keep the dog food put up and any thing they can eat on. I use the peppermint too. But would someone tell me where to buy oil of peppermint. I am not having any luck finding any more of it.

o

I've noticed that the preferred bait for the snap traps seems to be peanut butter. I have had mixed success with peanut butter. Just like the old saying goes,"things aren't made like they used to be", so goes peanut butter. Peanut butter today is much more oily especially the name brands. Believe it or not, the mice can and will rob your traps. If you must use peanut butter, I recomend an off brand. They are more dough like and the mice have to work a little harder for their "last meal". I have found that a much better bait for the spring traps is a piece of tootsie roll. If you knead it a little between your fingers to warm it up you can mold it around the little tab on the trap and the mouse will have to really tug to get it. Another tip is this; get rid of the junk. I think it is ordained by God that we gardeners have junk! I don't mean a car on blocks in your front yard but our everyday important stuff. I have boxes of old gardening magazines piled in a closet, pots in one corner of the dining room, bags of soil in another, etc. Mice love tight little secure places and these "valuable items" make ideal hiding places. Even pots and pans in the back of a cabinet can provide a safe home for the mouse family. Check around and see if you have any places that offer protection for them. They are looking for the same thing as you and I. A warm home, a nice meal, and a little peace and quiet. However, these uninvited guests also carry diseases. Don't be squeamish about killing them. Most people have what I call "media poisoning". The cute little cartoon mouse who misses his mother, the broken hearted deer whose father was shot, gimme a break! This is real life. Fight back against all this mind garbage. Death of any creature is not pleasant but it has to happen sometimes -- whether to feed your family or protect their health. Mice may be cute but they are BAD!!!

o

I sucessfully eliminated mice from my home by placing several small dishes of antifreeze wherever there was evidence of mice. The antifreeze also seems to work well in conjunction with poison bait... rats get thirsty after eating the poison and go for the antifreeze. Be sure the antifreeze is placed so that children, pets, or other animals cannot come in contact with it.

o

I have an intense phobia of a mouse/mice getting into my bed while I am sleeping. I have never seen evidence of mice living in my home, however I saw my strictly indoor cat playing with a live mouse last week. Since then I have bought the B&D sonar repellants and placed them in my bedroom. Do you think that the scent of the peppermint oil would be too stong if I placed the cotton balls in the corners of my bedroom (including 1 or 2 under my bed)? This is really more about making me feel more at ease in my place than actually getting rid of the mice that are probably not there.

o

Hi, while we've had a bad mouse problem for a few years now, a good friend of ours owns his own pest removal/small rodent removal service. We asked him if he could do anything about the mice and he said the ONLY thing that you can do is to keep trapping them and seal off the areas they are getting in to. I also want to remind you allre using the humane traps, make sure you are releasing them far away from your home or they will just come right back in, same goes for squirrels and rats.

I have noticed that our mice do NOT go near our food cupboards, but do go into the silverware drawer as well as pot and pan drawers and the stove and behind the microwave, all places that do collect crumbs if not cleaned daily. I have noticed that when I do keep those areas crumb free I see no sign of any mice. I hope you ALL solve your mousey problems soon!!

Also, our mice consist of kangaroo mice as well!!!

Carrie

o
re: getting rid of mice (2 places to get peppermint oil)

I bought a 4 oz bottle of 100% peppermint oil at GNC at the local shopping mall. It was 14.99 + tax.

I work at a national retail pharmacy. We don't stock it, but I am pretty sure we can order it for the next business day if ordered by 6pm.

I just ordered the ratzapper.

I am tired of using glue traps because it mauls the mice, sonicators worked for a little while, and don't want mice to get die inside the walls as a result of the poisons..

Hope this works!

o

I need some major help with a mouse issue. It seems they are everywhere. It first started with them in the garage. So I had been setting out glue traps and averaging about 1 a week. I didn't thing anything of it since they had just recently plowed under the fields near our townhome. But, about a week ago, I heard something in the downstairs bathroom. There was a mouse moving around on the exhaust vent grate. That was the first I had known of them getting into the house at all. My wife is 7 months pregnant and FLIPPED. So I called Orkin, and they came by. They found TONS on signs that they are in the attic. So they baited the heck out of the attic and some common places they might be found in the house. Well I thought this would start to help, however, now I'm hearing them in teh walls...of the BABY's room. I also am hearing them in the attic above our master bed room. THis is a BRAND new townhouse, completed in July of this year. What can I do. I have to clean my house up...this is just grossing me out and is SO disgusting...I feel so dirty.

o

I , too, was fooled into thinking mice do not go into new houses, I'm here 2 months and I found evidence of mice in my garage, and then in my moms room which is one door down from the garage enterance thats through the laundry room. But we were wondering if the mice can crawl through a drain I have thats a pipe from the outside into the laundry room? Or how do they jump up onto counters that are high and do not have anything hanging off like wires or doilies or anything? I just finished steelwooling the drain, set up glue traps everywhere, and mothballing (uhh) the garage. We got a ratzapper a couple of years ago (as a joke gift-never given) and I hunted it up, but what do you use as bait? Any other ideas? I'm so grossed out and mentally worn out from this that I can't sleep at nite!!!HHHEEEELLLPPPP!!!!!!

o

My take, based on Googling, talking to pest people, and personal experience:

1. Plug up the holes. Caulk, Great Stuff expanding foam, good thresholds. Don't forget the garage doors if attached to the house.

2. I've found that the wooden snap traps too often do not trip. The bait will be gone but the trap doesn't snap. I use "Quick Kill" traps from epestsupply.com. They are plastic (cleaner) and have a very sensitive trigger.

3. Have you ever seen a mouse nest in the middle of the floor. Of course not. They like cozy little spots were they can feel safe. Put your traps and baits in a small box, like a shoebox, with a small hole cut in the side. Put the box along a wall or in the obvious travelways the mice use. Warning - these are not pet/kid-proof.

4. I set up permanent bait stations around the perimeter of my house. I use "EZ Clean Rodent Bait Stations" from epestsupply.com. They can only be opened with a special key (included), are kid and pet resistant, and are very sturdy. They are a bit spendy at $14 each. There are cheaper bait stations available. I placed one on each side of my house and bait them with Contrac. I check them regularly and it is amazing how much bait is consumed. Assuming that I'm actually killing the buggers, I'm trying to reduce the general mouse population around the house. Fewer that might want to move into my kitchen.

5. If you are trying to trap or bait, don't use repellants. It's hard to apply repellants everywhere in your house. You want to draw them in to your trap or bait.

6. Remove food and water sources. Make your bait the only option for them.

BTW, you can also use bait stations for ant control. I've had an ongoing carpenter ant problem. I'm trying AntPro bait stations with a liquid bait. Since I've just started using them I haven't been able to judge their effectiveness yet.

o

When I got up this morning I saw that my cats had toppled over all my plants that I had growing on my seed mats downstairs. I've had the seed mats down for a couple months and they've never disturbed them in the past. I went to feed my lovebird and saw why the cats had gone bonkers. There was a mouse! We haven't had mice in the house for a few years, since we completed the renovations and supposedly sealed up all the holes. Well I guess there's some new ones and the weather has turned bad so in they came : ( I figure if I saw one that means that there must be more and I'm not counting on my cats or dog to get them. I just ordered the Rat Zapper and hope it arrives soon. I won't use poisons and those sticky traps are just too inhumane for me. Plus I don't want to see a dead rodent so I hope the Zapper works. I don't want a mouse/mice in the house eating food, pooping and peeing and I don't want my plants getting trashed!
Karyn

o

I just bought the Black & Decker sonic pest repeller yesterday. Does anyone know if these really work? I have a kitten so traps, poison, etc. are not an option. How will I know if the mice are still in my kitchen? I was unfortunate enough to spot one last week darting behind the fridge but I haven't seen any other signs and I'm too scared to go looking for them in all the typical places, i.e. under the stove or the fridge. Help would be greatly appreciated. I'm living in fear of a 2 inch creature. It's so irrational but I can't help it!!!

o

This mouse problem is so disgusting! I've killed 9 in two days with the regular, old fashioned traps with peanut butter. I have spent two long days cleaning everything and plugging steel wool in every possible hole. I think the main problem is that they're still in our gas stove. Does anyone have any ideas for specifically getting them out of the stove/oven??? Thanks!

o

I have read all of the posts and would like to add two bits of information I did not see. Mice climb cords - extension cords, power cords, computer cables and others. This is often how they reach counter and stove tops. Arrange cords so a bridge is not made to unwanted areas. Also, Walmart sells a live trap called the "Mice Cube" for about $2. Bait them with three or four pieces of dry dog food. I have the best luck with Pedigree. Check them morning and night. Release the mouse in a field somewhere away from your home.
Clean them by soaking in hot water and lysol. Set them out to dry in open position. Make sure you rinse off all disenfectanct or the smell can repel them. They are so cheap some people just throw them out once they get dirty. Hope this helps and Thanks for all your useful tips.

o

I need help, I have a mice problem that keeps gettin worse! they are in my pantry, under my sink, and the worse i found on in my washer where the water comes out to clean the clothes!! and god knows where else they are hiding! very disgusting! i have set regular traps, only caught 4 so far, i KNOW there are plenty more than 4...i have 2 kids and another on the way, i have 2 cats, and 1 dog, my cats cant get to them obviously, and my dog...well dogs arent very good at catching mice haha, but is there a fast way to get rid of them and getting them out of my house before my baby comes in 3 months?? please help a mom in distress!

o

I live in an 80-year-old house and for 18 years I've battled mice and once -- when a filthy abandoned home was condemned and demolished next door -- rats. It is almost impossible to get rid of all access holes in an old house, but I have dutifully plugged up holes as I discover them. Many of my neighbors set out birdseed without cleaning it up, so I will always have mice. In my case the primary problem was the holes around the gas lines coming into my stove. Anyway, being a softie and being devastated at seeing a mouse die of poison (hugely swollen, dragging itself slowly across the floor, then hunkering down and shivering until I put it out of its misery with a brick), I bought a humane trap off of ebay -- one of the metal mesh cage types. I set it on my kitchen counter near the stove, with newspaper under it to catch its droppings and urine after it's trapped. I put some doughnut in there right before I went to bed. The next morning there was a mouse in there. I immediately picked up the entire trap and put it in a box and took it to my animal shelter. They humanely euthanize rodents with chemicals in a bucket. However, a very funny note is that sometimes the mice get away while they are being transferred from the cage to the bucket, so the shelter has a mouse problem too. Anyway, because my neighbors would be furious if they saw me releasing mice, I just release them in the woods behind the shelter, with the shelter staff's permission. I trapped three (one at a time) the first time I did this and made three shelter trips. Now after visiting this site I am going to try the oil of peppermint when the weather turns cold. I may also try one of those sonic thingies.

o

We ave 4 cats & in 20 years have had very little trouble with mice. We have found plenty of evidence the cats know what to do about mice, both outdoors & in.
When we hear mice in the attic/walls (when cold weather starts) we set traps in the attic. They work well too--peanut butter--the "natural" kind--all peanuts.
You people in new houses/townhouses---your builder built your house on the animals' homes---the mice and other critters are very territorial & you are the new folks on the block, to them! You will just have to seal up all those gaps modern construction & careless workers leave.

o
Supermouse Lives in my Home....Help!

I need help. I've lived in a 9 unit condo building for 4 and 1/2 years, and never seen a mouse. Now...I've got the mother of all mice. I am convinced that it is feeding in someone else's unit, because I have absolutly no indication of a mouse dining here (i.e. no droppings anywhere in the kitchen or near food; no gnawing on anything food related), however, it is enjoying some type of co-habitation in my home.

I have been trying to get rid of Supermouse...and I call him that because I am convinced he is indestructible...for about 6 or 7 weeks. I currently have the following items in place: 8 poison bait blocks; 2 poison pellet trays; 3 D-Con traps; 1 humane/trap and release thingy; 1 of those plug into the wall units that is supposed to drive mice away. NOTHING IS WORKING! I see Supermouse usually every other night. I swear he is taunting me at this point. I thought I had him trapped in my closet once, and my laundry room once, only to find after removing every item that Houdini had somehow escaped. To add insult to injury, his favorite place to poop seems to be my closet, and in my shoes. I don't want to put any traps on a counter or up high, because Supermouse seems to prefer the floor and not venture to higher ground. I don't want to give him any ideas. I'm going to try the Peppermint Oil and dryer sheets, but I'm really worried that it won't work. I could get an exterminator, but I'm not going to pay to have the entire building done, so I don't think that would be the most effective way to get the mouse out. I had a cat, but she died in January and I'm not getting another anytime soon. Any suggestions?

o

Oh yeah - and as much as I want Supermouse gone, I won't do a glue board thing (I'm an animal lover at heart, and just can't stomach the thought), and I have a 3 year old so I don't want the traps that spring in case he finds one. Thanks for any advice!!!

o

You can find a bucket trap on Amazon that can be either live catch or lethal.

Here is a link that might be useful: ISS mouse trap

o

I was recently pulling a box from my closet in my classroom only to uncover it and find a nest of 10 to 15 mice awaken and spill out onto the floor into the shelf and behind my desk. Did I mention I had a class of 25 students at the time? You can imagine mass chaos of screaming and jumping and I trying to direct everyone to stay calm from the top of my desk. Needless to say I dislike the rodents very much and would like them gone. They put out those sticky traps that night and when I returned that morning I found at least 5 dead and three that scampered when I turned on the light! They promised to exterminate but I don't want them back EVER! What can I do to deter them from coming back!!!

o

I discovered we had mice and they were going into my cutlery drawers. We think they were looking for nesting material (they'd chewed the plastic drawer liner and my new silicone basting brush). My DH placed traps in the cabinets below the drawers. As I expected - no luck and I found droppings in the one of the drawers. Once he placed the trap in the drawer where I found the new droppings we did get one rather large mouse. We used peanut butter (I guess the mouse decided to have a snack when he found that the drawer had been emptied). I am hoping this is the only one...... but will place the traps again this evening just to make sure. Then I am going to try the oil of peppermint to see if that keeps them away.

o

You can get some mouse poison bait at the farm stores, one kind is called Hawk and the other is called tomcat. They look like compressed squares with grooves and ridges all over them. Anyway they are moisture resistant and you can put them in damp places. They have been in my greenhouse all winter and been very effective. I've also been using them in the basement of the house and so far I've not seen any mice in the house at all. And we always do. They don't seem to die in the house/greenhouse, when they start feeling sick I guess they crawl off somewhere else. I haven't smelled anything bad like I did when I put the d-con out. Just don't put them where pets and kids can get to it.

o

(Not trying to be sarcastic, but...) borrow a friend's cat. Our cat did a wonderful job of hunting down mice, despite being a lazy house cat for many years!

o

Please help I found dropping in my car and my son saw the little mouse when he got in and screamed and i also found droppings in the back where the speakers are so i put downey sheets on the floor and peppermint cotton balls on the bottom of the floor and 2 traps and 4 sticky traps i hope i get one how do you get them out do i go to a mechanic to see if the mouse is in the air vents or go and get it detailed what do I do PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE 3 KIDS 7,6 and a 2yr.old do i get a new car

o

Less than 2 hours after putting down some live catch traps I caught one and had it released.

They are made by the company PiC and these came 2 in a pack for only $3 including tax. I bought 4, put them down and not long after there is a little clicking sound like when I set the doors of it up and I check and the doors are down, so I stuck a little duct tape on each door just to make sure they wouldn't accidentally open when moving it since the doors could easily be accidentally opened and stuck it in a bag and took it out in the woods and sent the little creature on his or her way.

I just stuck a tiny little bit of peanut butter on the trigger part and put the trap next to a wall and voila! instant address change for the mouse.

They are made by PiC and the number on the bottom of the box says "Stock # POMT " and they are called "Humane catch & release mouse traps" It's a yellow box about the size of a thick paperback book.

No reason to kill them and no reason to have poison around, we are all exposed to too many nasty chemicals as it is, please try safe methods before ever even considering toxic stuff.

Peace.

o
RE: Getting rid of mice- Warning re: poison

Do not ever use Decon, or similar products if you have cats.
The mice eat the poison, then the cat eats the mice - and you end up with a dead cat. Our dear cat nearly died that way.

o

As far as the ratzapper... Yes, it does, kill the mice!!!

I have learned to make sure the bait is all the way to the back of the unit~ I now make sure that I also count the amount of bait (Usually I use 4 peanuts) this way if one is gone without the light blinking. CHANGE the batteries!!! I already now know, by watching the light when I turn it back on, if they need replaced or not! You can tell by the strength of the light~ If that makes sence!

This will kill what you have, but as I asked when I purchased this, how does this keep them from returning????

That I don't know, but it WILL, get what you do have and I have used this for a few years every fall/winter.

The only way to prevent them is to find where they are coming in...in this house, so far, we have used so much steel wool and also the 'great stuff' we should buy stock, but the "ratzapper" does keep them at bay!

Just remember, if you are going to be gone for a few days I would turn it off! You really don't want to come back to a stinking dead mouse! You will have the signs, but that is better than the smell! I would think! But then again, the way it kills them, I could be wrong, I just turned it off to be sure! Maybe they will address that! I did have to go away for a weekend and sure enough the bait was gone, But, as soon as I put more peanuts in and turned it back on, the next morning so was it!

I would like to try the one that uses the D batteries, because the one I have uses AA and can get costly, but for now I will have to live with the older one I have!

Maybe they have an exchange rate~ Who knows? Plus, we are both in Indiana !

o

Mice in the House

As the owner of a large tropical bird, mice have eaten the bird food in the bird cage, which is on the floor of the walk-in closet where the cage resides, which is open to my main room in a 1922 apartment. Needless to say the large room connects with the kitchen. Now all 3 rooms are infested with very, very smart mice. My tried and true method is glue-traps put against the walls, and under the bird cage. It works very well for the babies, and for some of the adults, but I know I have 2 adults in the main room that have now taken to walking the 9 moldings and watching me at night when I watch TV. I tried 4 glue traps together up on the molding, but they side-stepped them.

Although glue traps are inhumane, I kill the mice immediately when I see them on the traps, by suffocating them with another glue trap, or by folding the trap over on to itself, wrap in newspaper and thrown out in the garbage. No dead or dying corpses smelling up the apartment. I wont use poison because Im afraid Ill never find the bodies, especially in my walk-in closet with piles of clothes. I am about to try the peppermint oil, though Im not sure where the mice are going to escape to. The perpetually open windows in the kitchen and in the main room (where they came in?) are 2 stories up from the outside. It is a hope though. Im at my wits end. Ive caught over 20 mice with glue traps, and I still havent solved the breeding problem, and I know they are breeding in the closet.

o

I am sure that I posted this before; if so pardon the repetition. We killed rats by the thousands in the field using the "Pre-baiting Technique".
Rats are suspicious but inquisitive.
So, try a snap trap of suitable size. Fix it securely (Super Glue works well) to the floor along a baseboard. Bait it with something attractive but not messy. A piece of salted cod fish never failed me. Bacon worked for someone else. BUT do not set the trap. It may take some time (three nights) before the bait is taken. Continue to bait the trap until you feel confident that as soon as you turn off the lights at night the critter(s) will scamper along the baseboard, snatch the bait and return to their haven. That is when it is time to bait AND set the trap. Put out one trap for each mouse/rat that you suspect; in the hope of getting them all on the same night. Once you have sprung the trap(s), it is unlikely that you can obtain success again with the existing population.
Try it!

o

I'm feeling your frustration,for outside use see the end of this message. Pure peppermint oil on cotton ball place them in corners closets any entry area where you see proof of rodent activity it will keep them out not kill them (what ashame) but they hate the smell. REMEMBER to refresh your cotton balls with peppermint oil because as it evaporates they little pains in the tuucas (spl?) rodents will just drag off your cotton ball to their nesting area and sleep on them. Oh, they/mice can not belch burp so mix 1/2 part powder sugar with 1 part baking soda sprinkle closely around on baseboards when they get it on their little nasty paws and then clean themselves and each other they will digest this mixture and then within a day or two.... CABOOM, BAM! that's all she wrote 1 down and how many more to go
OR use for outside use the plastic lid that comes on plastic butter container; sprinkle about 1/2 teasp in lid and place it near your plants & plant some peppermint herb plants in garden areas

o

Here is the fastest, safest & easiest way to get rid of mice! No traps to handle or set!!! Use a bucket & fill it about 1/3 of the way with water. Now take about a 3 inch piece of a styrofoam plate, cup or bowl. Put some peanut butter on it. Sit it on top of the water carefully, where ever you notice mouse droppings, before you go to bed. Use a scrap piece of wood to make a ramp so the mouse can get to the top of the bucket & smell his peanut butter dinner. He will jump on the styrofoam, fall off & bye bye mouse! Usually the next morning you will find a drowned mouse in your bucket. Just take your bucket outside & empty the dead mouse in the weeds.

o

If you buy one of these Ortho traps, you might as well just burn your money. They don't work well and are under investigation in a big time lawsuit

Here is a link that might be useful: Ortho lawsuit

o

CATS - Works in 1 day ! Also there are sonic products now that plug into an outlet that mice can hear and you can't, and it drives them out.

o

Peanut butter works well on mouse snap-traps but sometimes the mice are able to just lick the peanut butter off without being caught. I have found that if you take a real peanut and break it in half...so you now have a half of a nut, you can jam it into to the bait portion of a snap-trap. The peanut is just as attractive to the mouse as peanut butter but now the mouse must yank on the nut to get it, then WAP! You can catch a hundred mice on the same nut, and peanuts don't turn hard and green like peanut butter.

o

I hate to add to the confusion that seems to exist about peppermint oil but we have bought some twice in the last two weeks and still seen a mouse the other night.

The smell is such that you can smell mint with our noses, so they must be able to smell it. As I said in my other post, I am thinking of going the poison route, they make me nervous and uncomfortable as I am home at night.

We also tried snake poo, a remedy we read elsewhere on the web.

I'm laying here at night feeling terrified about them being in our bedroom or our kids bed and getting into the mattresses.
I know I'm being paranoid

o

We tried poison and it make our home stink and its hard to find and the chickens found dead ones. Not a good idea. We tried using traps which hooks in front; doesn't work. The best trap is the side loaded one. It works everytime. Ill try peppermint infuse it and spray furnitures and oil all over the drawers and beddings. HOpe this works im really fed up. Bring on winter and frost. Thats the only way for total initiation.

o

Here is a less expected mouse predator:) I know it is an absurd idea to suggest a chicken, but hopefully it can give you a good laugh

Here is a link that might be useful: Chickens are not vegetarians

o

I haven't yet finished reading all the suggestions but I need to head to the store and get supplies before it gets to dark and to help me stop from jumping out of my skin at any little noise (they have me that freaked out). My questions:

Does the Peppermint smell have to be from Peppermint Oil, I ask because the stores close to me don't carry it so I will have to order some, in the mean time, would just the smell work, like if I were to buy candles, perfume, car fresheners, etc...

Also, the instant mash potato thing. Will it kill them instantly? I actually have some of that in my house now and I was about to go out and buy poison, but I like the idea that this doesn't activate until they drink water, as I have no sources of water in my bedroom, if they die insistently from this then I know they wont die in my bedroom as appose to them dying anywhere like the poison would cause.

If my questions could be answered as soon as possible I would greatly appreciate it, I'm very anxious here, thank you!

o

Also, If you don't want to post a reply here, feel free to email me at manda22007@yahoo.com

Thank you!

o

The simple way to make a glue trap "humane" is to take the trap outside, cover it with a piece of cardboard, and hit the mouse with a hammer. The mouse does not starve to death.

o

We have caught lizards and snakes in the glue traps. The way to remove them without harming them is to pour olive oil on the trap. Use a soft 2" wide or so paint brush to gently begin to brush the limbs and body loose. One little guy had his little toes all curled up and under him. We were able to release him and watch him as he began to regain the use of his toes, etc. We also gave him water. We watched him carefully for a long time until he was able to behave normally so that he was not easy prey for predators.

o

I've been setting out standard spring trap, caught 3 in 3 nights, same location. They've wised up and haven't touched it in 2 days. I have seen 2 dash out of my bedroom just after I enter in the past 3 days. I ordered the frequency plug in online, still waiting on shipment. I just tried peppermint oil. I set up cups w/ cotton balls all around my room to the point where the aroma is pungent. I had some peace of mind thinking it would at worst keep them out of my room and in the rest of the house. Then while on my computer, in my peripheral, I saw one run under my bed. It steered clear of the cups and ran across the middle of the floor. A few minutes later saw one run out of then back into my closet. The one under the bed started making noises(presumably of discomfort). I have a closet full of laundry and storage under my bed, so I would have to go through it all a little at a time only for a mouse to jump out, scare the urine out of me, and run in an unpredictable direction. The smell is everywhere so they can't get away unless they found there way out the door(right next to one of the cups). I think they must have adjusted to the smell because the noises and scurrying have stopped. I now have at least one under my bed, and one furry feller trapped in the closet. I set up some traps, but I don't know if they will smell the peanut butter with the peppermint everywhere. If I could do it over with the peppermint oil I would start with one cup in the opposite corner of the exit then gradually add more around my room. By having a strong sense of smell they should move in a direction of less irritation. They won't find such opportunity in my room, the smell is consistently strong throughout. While the peppermint oil seemed to have a deterring effect, I've found myself in a bit of a pickle. I'm going to rig my room like a war zone in hopes of killing every rodent already inside, and see if the peppermint oil will keep any newcomers out. I hate these mice. Coming out of a morning shower half asleep is no time to be surprised by a mouse at your feet.

o

Please when using Peppermint Essential or any kind of OILS, please use it right. There are four units in our apt. complex. Each have wooden floorboards, and underneth the top units are drop ceiling tiles. Our neighbor gets allot of mice, we make sure we dont, by clogging and checking to make sure all holes are still clogged up from when we moved in. OUr traps are not set off and we do use glue traps mainly for insects, but it works well for other critters. Our downstairs neighbor decided to put pure peppermint oils on cotton balls up inside the ceiling tiles, right under us!! she used a whole bottle and then some. I got very sick and migraines, where as my spouse ended up in the hospital. The neighbor at first denied it, then said she has mouse problems. The landlord spoke to her,and we have now have to have a breathing device for spouse! it cost us over 600.00 plus to get special air machines to help get rid of the smell. Please use Peppermint oils and other oils wisely, safely and make sure you are not going to harm anyone with the fumes, they are very, very, very strong. Landlord really is not a great landlord, as he is not interested in getting rid of the problem, just mask it. We are now having problems with same neighbor, putting something else in ceiling tiles, spouse thinks it might be liquid rat poisoning. How does one prove this, and not let the culprit downstairs know,so we can get help. We are getting headaches, sick, and spouse is very sick, but once we are outside, all is better. We did ask neighbor, but, denied anything was going on. of course!! so, any help here would be nice. thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here