Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smom40

Trying to figure out what my bug is

smom40
19 years ago

I know that this is a forum for garden pest management, but I'm new to the area and trying to figure out if the bug that I have is even a pest/problem.

It's a beetle-looking bug, about 1/2 inch long. True black, smooth back. Flattened-looking, not rounded. Thin red horizontal stripe.

It's not a Missouri Tiger Beetle based upon any of the pictures that I've googled. Those bugs have mottled coloring, and are longish but rounded on the sides.

We first saw them on the white siding of the west side of our home near the back door. A loose group, just hanging on the building. Would occasionally find some indoors. On a wall. On a counter. In a sink. Not flying around or swarming. Just a single bug. I've seen em fly, but they don't startle easy. And the only one I've seen crawling was one that decided to show up in my kitchen tonight and scare me to death. (The last couple of days have been in the 50's so I guess they think that it's spring or something.)

They left when the cold weather hit, and now I've seen two in the last two days.

We live in Saint Louis County. Does anyone have a clue as to what the heck these things are? And are they something that I need to be concerned about?

Thank you for any information or even guesses that you might have. I've been googling my brains out tonight and haven't come up with a thing.

And if I've come to the wrong forum with my question, please forgive my error.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm