Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gina0475

Earwigs - lets discus how to prevent them this year

gina0475
14 years ago

I live in PA outside of Philadelphia and last year I had these creepy little things in my very first raised bed on this property.

I still got plenty of zucchini even though they loved living in the cut off leaf stems of those plants but not much else. No broccoli, no peppers (well hot ones yes), no brussels, etc.

These suckers ate through all my leaves, then at least 3 had the audacity to come into my kitchen via the back door. I even have the itches typing about them ..... so I want to head them off before I start this year.

So be fore you begin with the cat food cans and the rolled up newspaper tricks -- I cannot do these.. not without clawing and beating my husband while I sleep due to nightmares of course. They really bother me! Just the idea of lifting a rolled newspaper makes me shiver.

What else other then seven ($$ costly costly for the amount of space I have) can I do? What do we all think of diatomaceous earth ?? Does anyone know of something I could put down just as spring hits before I put my stuff in the ground so that they are gone before I even start?

give some suggestions please???

thanks everyone !!!

Comments (9)

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Sevin, Carbaryl, is not a good choice for control of any insect since it is an extremely toxic poison for you as well as any insects.
    Understanding any insect is one way to get started in controlling those that are not wanted. Earwigs, like many other insects, need a fairly moist environment and a good food supply to exist and, unfortunately for organic gardeners, mulches and soils with adequate levles of organic matter are what attracts many insects such as earwigs, roly poly's or pill bugs or sow bugs, slugs, etc. Spraying the broad spectrum poisons around the garden not only kills these guys but any potential beneficial insects, and birds, that could help you control them.
    The link below can help you understand more about earwigs although the controls suggested are all broad spectrum poisons. Garlic sprays are known to be a good deterent for these wee buggers, although your garden will smell like a pizza parlor when they are used.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Earwigs

• gina0475
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yup, my town has a sort of free mulch program that we bring in our compost-able materials and they create plies and piles of this beautiful much-like or mostly composted soil, and it its absolutely wonderful; but it is definitely the cause for my problem because I did not have them until I began using this "mulch".
    So where do you go with that, you either take the problem in stride or have no mulch ? or I could buy mulch, but I really dont see it being better than what I am getting for nothing especially when my neighbors complain about the stuff they buy. My philosophy is this... the free stuff is black -naturally- not dyed and if it gets light too early then It costs me nearly nothing to replenish it. But now it brings earwigs.... so, its time to fight back. I bought seven last year and went easy, I still had a few come in and I think that is my real fear.
    I would really like to hear about peoples result with diatomaceous earth
    its natural and seems like the way to go but does it work???????

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

DE can help but like many other methods of control it can get to be expensive since you need to replenish it every time it gets wet and looses its sharp edges. Many people put out rolled newspaper, and other similar traps, but I've not heard what they do with them once they are loaded with earwigs and others.

• gina0475
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well I read that they take that rolled paper and put it into a thing of hot water or I guess a bag with no holes but the idea of lifting this thing with hundreds of earwigs freaks me out - I cannot bring myself to do it. I tried the can method and I got nothing so I figure what else is there

• dutch62
    13 years ago

The time is now to prepare but these steps help all year round as well. With a little modification earwigs won't want to be around your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prepare and prevent the earwig this year

• Belgianpup
    13 years ago

I don't have many earwigs anymore. My chickens think they're candy.

Sue

• flowerbrackob
    13 years ago

They were in my hose sprayer/nozzle blocking the flow. I started noticing little black spots on the patio thinking it was from my tree; LOTS of it every mornin'. I finally picked one up and it was squishy. Sure enuf, it was the droppings of the wigs that I read about.
    So I researched on my puter and diatomaceous earth was one of the deterrents mentioned in several places. I found it at my feed store. The farmer at the feed store told me they use it in the barn all around, it greatly reduces the fly larvae and wigs near the water troughs and is safe for all ground feeders too. You do have to reapply tho after the rain. It was very inexpensive I thought. I experimented first under a large pot sprinkling it densely; next day no more of the creepy crawlers. I then sprinkled around the patio cracks and around the base of the house and steps; everywhere there was a space to get into that I could find. Even opened up some birdhouses and yep they were lovin' it. Those houses have been uninhabited every year... I like others, noticed a dark center in my lilies and they lived in there too; as well as destroying the plant from the roots up. Watching closely in the garden I saw them quickly disappear down into the soil. I lifted ground cover and they like it there too. Oddly, very few buggers in the mulch itself, just up near the base of the garage and under the plants close to the earth. I will try the Fantastic. Also, a squirt of Raid seemed to kill them for the few stray ones around; not all the time but some shots. So: I will sprinkle my DE by the bag, like Tinker Bell's fairy dust this year; before I see even the first one! There was an invasion of flying ants here too...never saw that before. URRRRGGGGGHHHHH, Jaemy

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

I have found a number of people this past year that have put in a wld flower garden, some would call it a "weed" garden, and they have noticed an increase in the number of bees and other insects in that area and a decrease in the number of insect pests in their gardens. It seems many predators like the environment created by those wild flowers and help keep pests under control in return.
    Spraying broad spectrum poisons around to control one pest very often kills off the predators that couild help control the pest insects.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

DE still remains effective when wet. As a matter of fact, on method of applying it is via a sprayer. It might not be AS effective wet as when dry, but it doesn't 'lose' its qualities. HOWEVER! DE should be used with great care and consideration. Broadcasting it widely on the soil or in the garden can be very destructive to the beneficials that truly outnumber the pests. I don't even recommend it for outdoor use anymore, other than in containers, garages, etc.

Another reason never to bring Sevin (the correct spelling of carbaryl's common name) into your garden arsenal is that it is deadly to earthworms. Ask any golf course superintendent what is used on the greens to control earthworms.

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!