Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrw17

White Flies and biocontrol

jrw17
17 years ago

For the last two years I have had a big whitefly problem in my greenhouse.

I tried Green lacewings last year and wasn't pleased. When they arrived, the accompanying literature said they couldn't reproduce without the right flowers to live on! It sure would have helped to know that before hand as I could have been growing the right stuff.

Now I am thinking about using some wasps, specifically a Eretmocerus eremicus/Encarsia formosa mix. The thing is these guys are very expensive so I am looking for some advice from someone who has tried them. Are there going to be any suprises?

Here is one of the most useful websites I have found on the subject of whiteflies:

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/gh-whitefly.html

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I'd suggest that you develop a relationship with the company from which you intend to purchase your wasps. Company experts would be an excellent resource for you, as it is very much in their best interest to make sure that you are successful when using their products.

I've never been disappointed when making use of in-house scientists.

• catch-fly
    17 years ago

I'm sorry you had misleading information about the lacewings, they are excellent biocontrol agents used in the right conditions. The plant type is not a requirement for lacewings as the leaflet suggested, but the food source is (obviously pest species select their food source, so there is a link).

The real problem that you have encountered is that lacewings are really not the preferred biocontrol for white-fly (by which I assume you mean Aleyrodidae). Lacewings are much better for Aphid control (green-fly and black-fly) and in some cases, scale insects.

The wasps (Eretmocerus eremicus/Encarsia formosa mix) are certainly the thing to go for, although slightly more expensive. I have no direct experience with them, but I think you will find that they are the solution you are seeking.

• Organic_johnny
    17 years ago

While it's not a biocontrol, whiteflies are very susceptible to neem oil, if you're up for spraying.

• Kimmsr
    17 years ago

In your Integrated Pest Management program Neem Oil products, broad spectrum poisons, should be one of the last resort things to use. In Integrated Pest Management you always start with the least toxic means of control you can and if those are not successful you work up the chain toward those very toxic products.

• jrw17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's the very question that I had about Neem... If I use Neem does it affect the beneficials?

I think the base of my problem is the ants. I don't think that I can do anything without first getting rid of the ants... I just don't have the heart to poison them. Sigh....

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I think you should try to get your whitefly problem under control before you bring in the beneficials. You shouldn't count on them to do the job with out your help.

Luckily there are some great products to use. Look for an organic ant BAIT with Spinosad in it. Many companies are producing their own brand these days (Safer's is one). Spinosad-laced bait will be taken down into the mound, thus giving you a much better control than other kinds of products. Spinosad is another biological agent.

I also strongly recommend Neem for your situation. Use it according to directions until you achieve a fair control over the whitefly population. Wait a week or so, and then place your order for the benefical insects.

Neem does not make a particularly good contact control, but works as an anti-feedant, making it terrific for insects that chew on leaves or suck sap for a living! It will have a bit of a residual effect, since it has proven to be somewhat systemtic. Neem is a plant based product.