Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schatham_gw

Rat bait

schatham
15 years ago

Sadly, I just buried our pet Beagle, Happy, who had ingested some rat bait that was either under our house, or had been drug outside by some rodent, where she found it (or the dead/dying animal) and consumed it. We didn't catch it in time. The bait was the blood thinner type, which can be treated, if it's caught in time.

As a result, I've vowed it won't ever happen to another pet.

I've been looking online to see what is available (and effective). Living where I do (on a farm) trapping is not an option. There are simply too many around to be able to put a dent in the population.

What I've found online is a New Zealand product called "Natural No Rats" and a UK product made by a company called Ilexorganics, called EradiBait.

Both are made from alpha cellulose & powdered corn cobs.

I've looked in local stores for something like this & can't find it. Talked to local pest control places & they don't know anything about it, all they have are the anti-coagulant poisons. I haven't been able to find any of it online (US) either.

Anyone familiar with this stuff? Does it work? What I see it says about it is that it dries up their insides, and since rats/mice can't vomit, they end up dying. Poisoning of dogs & pets (or people) is supposed to be a symptom of constipation, that is treated with laxatives, electrolytes & water.

Any input appreciated.

SC

Comments (2)