Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mobenchain_gw

Mealybug and Scale- cleaning the area

mobenchain
16 years ago

I've done some searching and I haven't found this question; if it's out there (with an answer), please just point me in the right direction!

Just bought a house with a fabulous indoor atrium. Only problem (well, two): scale and mealybug, and of course they're on some of the biggest, most beautiful plants. I feel up to working on the rubber plant and banana tree (sorry, don't know official names here) but the two ficus trees are going to have to go- I just don't have the patience to clean that many little leaves.

My main question is this: once I take those ficus trees out (uh, assuming I need to put dropcloths or something over the other plants during the process and shopvac as much as I can aftewards), what do I need to do to make sure I don't have residual bugs on the glass or walls? Again, this is an indoor atrium so I don't want to use anything toxic. I've already used fish oil emulsion once and that helped some of the other plants (though the house reeked for about a week- eew).

I was thinking I should wipe down the windows with alcohol, and we're already planning to repaint the area. Will that do it to minimize any little buggers (mostly the mealybug) that may get dislodged while I'm hauling out the ficus? Anything I should spray on the soil to catch anything that may have dropped down? I don't want to leave anything behind that will make a meal of whatever I eventually plant in place of the ficus trees. Any suggestions on how long to wait before replanting in that area?

I also have the lovely cat box issue... as in, the cat thinks the atrium is a fine cat box. But I think from other posts I'm going to aim for some white chips/landscape rock in hope that will discourage his digging and stinking up the place. Between the cat and the fish oil emulsion we're getting a little stinked out.

TIA,

Meredith

Comments (3)

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

Mealybugs are scale insects without the hard shell the scales usually have so control is about the same. Insecticidal soap sprays will help, superior oil also can help. It is unlkely you will find any on the glass and walls of the Atrium since these wee buggers need to be on plants to live.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mealybugs

• squirrel_girl
    16 years ago

I think the white chip/landscape rock is a wonderful idea for your fluffy friend. If you would like a little variety in your ground cover, here are a few ideas that have worked for me. You could use them slightly under the ground cover of your choice.
    1) Chicken wire spread across the surface of soil. I'm sure you could cover it with a little bit of soil or decorative mulch to hide the wire. My kitty didn't want to dig with the wire in the way.
    2) Another immediately effective idea I used was plastic forks broken in half and pushed to the the soil line with the tines up. I used plenty of them.
    3) Tin foil is less effective, but a good temporary solution until you get the supplies you need for other ideas. Spread over the soil, the sound was enough to spook my fluff ball away. We actually, left this temporary solution on one plant so long that when we removed it, he didn't even consider bothering that plant again.

Oh, for the transporting the ficus, I was thinking putting a chair cover (like the kind for moving) over the leaves might help keep the mealybug escapees contained. I've purchased the chair covers for a few dollars at Staples. They are with the mattress covers. It would look like a huge garbage bag.

Good luck and I am jealous of the atrium.

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

mobenchain, you have a formidable problem but it can be solved. Think Eliminate, Reduce, Protect and finally, Control; not as isolated items but as an integrated plan.
    By removing some host plants you have already done some of the first two.
    Consider ways of doing the same on the remaining plants, like pruning the most affected parts. Note that the primary purpose of this pruning is for pest control and it may clash with the aesthetics. You will have to make that choice. Take the plants outside and hose off (protect the soil against the heavy watering). A hose-end shutoff, opened just enough to give a thin, forceful jet will knock mealy bugs out of leaf axils without dislodging too many leaves. If the plant is too tender for this treatment, use a sponge to do the job. You will be using water volume, rather than pressure to get rid of the pest.
    I cannot think of practisable protection devices in your situation but think of how you can use sticky traps, netting covers and barriers to prevent reinfestation.
    Control methods offer the best hope. These can be mechanical like glue traps and sticky (on the OUTSIDE only) bands on the stems near ground level. Cultural controls embrace watering and can include manipulation of the environment. Can you lower the temperature in this space long enough to simulate winter? Painting the room has possibilities. A newly painted room, locked up for a week or so may make the air toxic to small insects-I do not know.
    Biological methods will include elimination of ants, introduction of lady bugs, (I do not know how this will work with that painting operation) and others which I cannot recall right now.
    If your philosophy includes the use of chemicals, I would recommend a pyrethrin (not pyrethroid) formulation. The latter are tweaked to add properties like residual- the same property for which other chemicals were withdrawn.
    Scales pose special challenges. Even when they are dead they persist and look terrible. An oil spray (I recommend, not endorse, "Volck") will smother the crawler stage but once they are established on the plant, only a systemic or hand picking will control them. 'Going forward' as they say, inspect your plants on a weekly basis and try to catch the FIRST insect. You may not succeed in doing that but you will not have a serious outbreak. I would not worry too much about these insects infesting other places like walls and glass surfaces. Routine housekeeping practices will take care of that; but do keep a sharp look out for honeydew on surfaces like plant containers and tabletops.
    You have a most interesting challenge and in the end you will be able to teach us all a few things.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area