Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a stinkbug? (does not stink)

Posted by sleevendog 5-6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 21:52

I'm in NY, just north of the city. Starting finding these in the house last year...just one at a time. Now one or two a day usually sluggish, just a slow crawl. Rarely flying, but will take a spin banging on the kitchen light at night.
But they do not stink. At all.
Looks like a stinkbug but i keep reading that they stink.

I have a vague memory that it might be something eating my home, like what carpenter bees do.

Can't find a source. Or entry, or where they are nesting or reproducing...One or two a day exactly the same size.
About a half an inch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a stinkbug? (does not stink)

When i came across this...

"A few species of stink bugs do not feed on plants. They are predators of insects that attack plants. These predatory stink bugs have been found feeding on velvet bean caterpillars, root weevils, Colorado potato beetles and southern green stink bugs. Because of this, most gardeners consider the predatory stink bugs to be beneficial."

...i thought i should try and get a better ID.
So i started a bit of garden on the kitchen counter from some produce to see if they would be attracted to it. One did spend some time on the celery but not for long.

o

Looks kind of like a stinkbug, but then there are many insects that kind of resemble them.

Here is a link that might be useful: stinkbug images

o

It looks to me like a western conifer seed bug (Leptoglossus occidentalis) which like to winter over in houses. They don't always stink, but if startled or squished, they smell to me like rotten mint which I find unpleasant, so I tend to carefully pick them up and dump them outside into a snowbank to freeze. They feed on needles of pines and spruces and don't harm people.

o

It's a stinkbug.
And the white bands on the antennae indicate it's a brown marmorated stink bug.
BMSB for short.
The technical name Halyomorpha halys.

In the eastern US, it's serious nuisance insect during fall and winter and a nasty plant pest during the growing season.

They don't feed at this time of year; they just hang out in sheltered sites -- including your house -- until spring arrives.

See info here: How to ID BMSB
https://njaes.rutgers.edu/stinkbug/identify.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: How to ID BMSB

This post was edited by jean001a on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 1:02

o

Yup, BMSB. Thanks for the link. I found that as well. I could send a few in to them but i'm sure they have plenty at this point and are well aware of the invasion.
Just curious now why they don't stink. Perhaps they are just sluggish right now and not at all threatened because we are so kind, even apologetic...(haha)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here