Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomspy77

Mice problem in third floor apartment, advice needed please

tomspy77
13 years ago

First of all, greetings and thanks for having me here at the forums.

My story is that me and my girlfriend are night owls and about a month or so ago we heard scratching in one of the walls of our frontroom while watching a movie real late one night and in ohur then ignorance thought it was some animal stuck in the wall.

Needless to say about two to three weeks ago my girl was at home and saw a little mouse come and take a seed from beneath where our two cockatiels are.

We Googled mice, told the landlord who gave us two (two!) Tomcat traps and then we cleaned the house.

Bought peppermint oil and GNC and got snake poo from a local pet store and stuck part of an SOS pad in the very small hole we saw on the wall where the scratching was.

Thought we were good but then we saw another last night. We have four traps and have caught nothing but I am thinking of doing the poison route as I want them dead and not on my floor.

My landlord says he will place bait/poison in the boiler room three floors down, but seems uninterested in doing much else and says no one else has them, but we only see them late at night like midnight or later.

We did see them a third time by the way all around our front room and small kitchen.

Posting this from a phone so I will try to be complete later, that is if I'm not too afraid to be near my desk as that is one place they have been near in two out of three sightings.

Comments (7)

• Kimmsr
    13 years ago

The poisoned bait the "pro" would use is warfarin based just as the poisoned baits you can buy are. Warfarin causes the mouses blood to fail to coagulate so it will, eventually, bleed to death.
    Mich only stay were they find food, shelter, add water so that aparment building provides shelter and water, and if you are not really careful you would provide the food. eliminate at least one of those three and the mice will move on.

• tomspy77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well the site "Ask The Exterminator" gave me some advice via email. To pre bait the traps for at least three days before setting them as this will make the vermin comfortable and then Sat when we actually set the traps they will be careless and get caught.

These things are driving me nuts, the night of my first post I did not sleep at all because of fear of the things, as big of a baby as that make me sound.

My landlord has still been pretty ignorant of the severity and now I find this morning that the vermin are trying to get or have gotten into my birds cages...

Really cannot go on like this, any other posts, help or encouragement would be great.

We also think that somehow we have unknowingly embedded their feces in our carpet...this is not good.

• tomspy77
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, so we followed the exterminators advice by email and pre baited the traps with what the mice came for the birdseed.

The day before we found a mouse hole and plugged it with steel wool.

Went out Saturday night expecting to find lots of bodies and nothing.

What happened??
    Where did they go??

We live in six apt building so they may have moved on to one of my neighbors but I'm not naive enough to think they have just left.....

It got a bit warmer as well but they don't leave do they??

Confused...

• Clara Murray
    6 years ago

Doesn't matter if it's winter or spring they are here all year round . I also have a cocktail and a love bird plus a dog and I see them all the time running under the bird cage no matter howuch I clran. I was in the kitchen and one came out and ran pass my feet . my landlord put traps and those sticky trap lol caught nothing . I bought poison and they are eating it but I haven't seen any dead ones just seems to be more . I work at night so I'm not home , but my migjt off for the first time I see them all night that the night they came out . plus the little f#:'( came out in the day and took my dogs food ahhh now I don't leave it on the floor . I would love to know HOW TO GET RID OF THEM FOR GOOD.

• lgteacher
    6 years ago

Here's some more info about how to set traps and idfferent methods of control. house mouse IPM

• PRO
    Envirosafe Pest Control Orlando
    6 years ago

Make sure all food sources are in sealed containers. A good exclusion company can help seal off entry points. Traps are a good non chemical solution. They love Nutella.

Envirosafe Pest control of Orlando 9064 Dowden Rd #310 Orlando Fl 32827 704-580-7124 www.orlandopestcontrol.com