Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diaprepes Root Weevil Eradication Spraying in SoCal?

Posted by tuesdayschild z10 CA, Sunset24 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 1:00

I have just recently received a message in the mail informing me that the Powers that Be are going to be conducting an eradication spraying for the Diaprepes abbreviatus root weevil in my area (La Jolla). A Caribbean import, this thing was accidentally introduced near Apopka, Florida in 1964, presumably introduced in an ornamental plant shipment from Puerto Rico. Since 1964, D. abbreviatus has spread over a large area of central and southern Florida and parts of Texas where it is damaging to ornamental plants and other crops, especially citrus. We've been quarantined for 4 mos, but now I guess we're stepping up the action.

OK I get it..... gotta protect our SoCal citrus product (which is apparently really endangered by this nasty bug which has a two-cycle life, one below ground and one above, making it really difficult to eradicate), -- one person described it as "The diaprepes root weevil is the most devastating pest we've come across in a while because it attacks so many different plants," (So far 270 species of plants., including citrus and roses).

I have worked my patooty off setting up a reasonably balanced ecology in a downtown environment, working with my neighbors to introduce tons of beneficials into a blighted area-- no bees, no nice stuff, until we started a neighborhood campaign. Its really showing results the last year... now what? What can I expect from an eradication spraying like this from the state (remove old people, imuno-compromised individuals, pets, etc.) on my careful work? The chemicals in the pesticides include carbaryl, imidacloprid and pytrethroid. Do I kiss our praying mantis population goodbye (and expect the stick bugs to reduce us to wasteland again)? Are my lacewings history? Do I start over from scratch? Do I sit around and wait to see what happens before I order the next round of bugs????

Anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diaprepes Root Weevil Eradication Spraying in SoCal?

Included in that notice should be an "opt out" option. This will only be good if all of your neighbors also "opt out" and you may need to show medical necessity. That also puts on your shoulders the need to provide another means of control if these pests are found in your neighborhood.

o
RE: Diaprepes Root Weevil Eradication Spraying in SoCal?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 0:16

Very likely your county Agrciultural Commission has a hotline to answer questions from the public about the management of that pest. For the phone number, look in the phone book under the heading "government offices." Or search with google.com

Just found this. San Diego County Commissioner's office at
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/awm/
which has info about the weevil.

Follow the link from that page to find details about the weevil, including the quarantined areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Diego County Commissioner's office

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here