Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
will apple or cherry trees attract rats?

Posted by everswim 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 05 at 13:41

I live in Brooklyn, NY, in a neighborhood with heavy rat activity. I have just managed to evict the little monsters from my house. I can tell, however, that there are active paths and holes in my yard, so I want to continue discouraging them.

I am thinking about replacing an old apple tree in my yard (which produces neither flowers nor apples), and would like to have something flowering there, like a crabapple or cherry; but I am concerned that the rats would have a field day with the fruit. (They are Norway rats, not roof rats, so it would be the fallen fruit that they'd get after in all likelihood.)

What are people's experiences with these kinds of fruit? I know rats love citrus, but citrus isn't gonna grow in my yard anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: will apple or cherry trees attract rats?

The most common Rat in Brooklyn is the Norway Rat (Rattus norvegicus), also known as sewer rats, They are stocky burrowing rodents that are much larger than the roof rats that live in the southern states that are known to feed in trees. Norway rats eat a wide variety of foods but mostly prefer cereal grains, meats, fish, nuts, They may eat some fruits. But are more likely to eat from garbage and feed on other high protein foods. And where there are other food sources available such as pet food and insects I dont think the fruit tree will be an issue. There are no Roof Rats in New York, If there were the tough Brooklyn Norway rats would soon kill them.I would Plant your tree and enjoy it.

o
RE: will apple or cherry trees attract rats?

how big do roof rats get? I had a few 1+ft buggers die under the deck this year and caught a baby inside. just curious what I am dealing with =)
I currently reside in suburban Nassau County.
No I had multiple Id confirmations on the
skeletons/remains
it was RATS not possums, racoon, mice etc.
though we have all that too plus rabbits & squirrels

EVER SEE NY LIFE OF GRIME on TV? I saw the exterminators in the bronx dealing with pure HELL, I wouldn't doubt the apple tree never has a chance to flower because of pests.
=)

o
RE: How big do roof rats get?

The Norway rat is easily recognizable. That is the rat that is common in Nassau County. It is a big, Fat hefty rat and is much larger than most of the other rodents in the neighborhood. Norway rats can weigh 1 pounds. Roof rats stay at an agile pound when fully grown. Roof rats have a longer tail, pointier snout and longer ears while the Norway rats tail is shorter than the length of the body. Both rats have naked tails but the Norway rats tail appears as two-tone from the partially haired skin. Rats have a high reproductive capacity and can compete well against other pests for our rubbish. Rats can reproduce all year long depending on environment and food. They usually reach their peak reproduction in the fall. Both species average about eight offspring per litter. A single female rat can produce as many as 80 rats in her lifetime. Gestation and weaning of young can last about two months; baby rats can be reproductively mature within three to four months. If you do the math, rat populations can build quite rapidly in good conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here