Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
disgusting bugs on bulb stems

Posted by meredithptown z8 OR (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 05 at 17:46

Hey there I have some tiny black bugs swimming in spit ponds on the shoots coming up from the bulbs. I assume they created the spit puddles...it wasn't me. I tried hosing them off unsuccessfully any ideas? what are they are they hurting the bulbs? and what do I do organically to get rid of them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: disgusting bugs on bulb stems

organic pesticides you probably
have around su casa are garlic, tobasco, and
tobacco but wait for a flower-pro
for an answer on this one,
or mix up a viscious cocktail of all
3 and hope for the best.
just my 2 pennies.
peace
LS

o

No one should use tobacco for any reason today. Nicotene sulfate is one of the broadest spectrum poisons there is and has no place in the garden.
A sharp water stream can help control these spittle bugs, or a spray of insecticidal soap will work. Always start with the least toxic means of control once you have determined that control is even necesary. Not every bug needs to be wiped out and that is what nicotene sulfate will do.

o

I've had good luck with commercial insecticidal soap applications. These critters can be pretty stubborn, and can outlive a strong spray of plain water.

o

Thanks for the advice~ Although I still see the nastys on the stems it looks like the flowers are going to go ahead and bloom beautifully anyway. :) I've just kept hosing the bugs/spit around them off. Must have been enough to keep the plants going, OR the insects werent doing any real harm in the first place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here