Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopeful_in_brevard

root weevils/benificial nematodes

hopeful_in_Brevard
13 years ago

I have a major problem. My yard front and back is affected by Artipus Floridanus, A white weevil with some dark markings. They are chewing the leaves on my loquat tree, oak trees, rose bushes, plumbagle, simpson stopers and other plants. I am expecting a order of benificial nematodes. I have used oak leaves for the past few years as mulch to keep down the weeds. Works beautiful, but my question is do I need to remove all the leaves before I treat the yard. A daunting chore as Im not as young and agile as I once was. I have a new crop of oak leaves waiting to be picked up and used. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Will composting the old leaves elimanate any larva or adults.

Comments (5)

• IpmMan
    13 years ago

Any chance we can get a picture of the Weevil?
    Nematodes are for the grubs, so no point in treating if they are not in the soil.
    Meantime I am sending you a link about Black Vine Weevil, some of the information here is good for all Weevils, but we need to know what they are to be more helpful. I worked with Richard Cowles so I can vouch that he really knows his Weevils.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weevil link

• IpmMan
    13 years ago

Oops you already identified the weevil. Guess I should have read the post better, but my dog was nudging me for his walk.
    The Weevil information I gave before still has good general information. You might try some dead fall traps. There seems to be little information on this Weevil, but most weevils like to hide in shade in the hot sun. A dead fall trap is a can like a coffee can buried up to the lip with a 1'X1' board propped up about an inch over it. About 1" down smear some grease all around the inside of the can. Weevils looking for a shady spot fall in but can't get out. This works great for Black Vine Weevil, It might work well for these also.
    Pardon again for the previous poor post.
    Ps. Does any one know how to get rid of a dumb post that you made, or do I just have to live with it?

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the post. I found a suggestion of smearing some greasy substance on the trunk of the plant and the young weevils emerging from the soil could not climb into the plant. The coffee can idea seems to kind of follow this approach. I have so many plants affected, I have found leaves notched on my 45 year old oak trees. This is the first real insect problem I have had in 40 years. I do not use chemicals in my yard. Again thank you for the posts. Much appreciate it.

• IpmMan
    13 years ago

Grease around trunks can help too. Make sure the grease you use is not toxic to the plants though. Nematodes can help but you have to follow the release instructions to the letter, a lot can go wrong in getting them established. As I said I don't know much about this weevil, but if they are like most weevils, yes cleaning up as much debris as possible in the yard helps because weevils like shady spots to hide in the heat of the day. Composting will not kill them. Assuming that they are like other weevils, if your yard backs up woods then try to maintain a clean break between the woods and your plants. Weevils generally do not like to cross open land. Try the dead fall traps, I hope they work as well as they do for Black Vine Weevil, we practically wiped out every Black Vine Weevil in a Taxus field when we were using these traps to collect adults for an experiment. I hope that they work as well on these Weevils.

• hopeful_in_Brevard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you again Ipm man: I will try the traps. I have raked the leaves from a large area. I will post the results I get.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!