Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mosquitoes

Posted by Gunnysack z6ks (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 04 at 21:54

Mosquitoes: They are back. Last year we really didn't enjoy the yard because of them. Spray did no good. The good bugs and birds left. I don't want to spray. We don't have standing water. I have cut away underbrush and most of the ground cover. What can I do? Is there something to plant to repell them? suggestions please
K.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mosquitoes

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 19, 04 at 20:25

I would think it's a tad early for mosquitoes.

But midges are out and about. And, although midges can be extremely numerous, they don't bite. Bottom line is that they're considered a nuisance for people, but an important food source for other creatures.

o

I agree. Midges are often mistaken for mosquitoes. However, if you are actually being bitten.....then it is not midges. Removal of groundcover and undergrowth have eliminated insects and birds.

Check your neighborhood for standing water. Could be ponds, golf course lagoons, drainage ditches,etc. Larvacides are the best method of control in those situations. Also, leaf filled gutters, tree holes, bird baths, plant saucers, and other hidden sources of stagnant water create mosquito habitat. Spray your clothes liberally with a repellant before you go outside.

There are no plants that have been proven to be mosquito repellers, that I know of. There are plenty that are ADVERTISED as such but they do not work.

o

We have found Off mosquito lanterns help. They put out smoke, which may be the main deterrent. A columnist in this morning's paper said she uses incense sticks, which also smoke. Says they work like a charm.

o

Build a screen porch. What a relief and you can stay outdoors till all hours and hear the owls hoot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here