Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white line sphinx moth- case of mistaken identity?

Posted by katydid85 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 0:35

While I've been vegetable gardening for years, my insect identification skills have been clearly lacking...

What I have been dubbing a "hornworm moth", and smashing on sight, I have now correctly identified it as a white lined sphinx moth. Are these detrimental to vegetable crops? and are their larvae similar to a tomato hornworm?

I'm a first year market grower, and was terrified I had a huge population of hornworm moths emerging. I'm getting hundreds a week on our patio, and would like to know if these are BENEFICIAL insects or not.Thank you in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white line sphinx moth- case of mistaken identity?

White Lined Sphinx moths are also known as Hummingbird Moths and the larva of these sphinx moths grow on and eat a variety of what we call "weeds" so they are known as a beneficial moth.
Because the Tobacco, or Tomato, Hornworn is the larva of members of the sphinx moth family many people think all pf the sphinx moth family is a pest, although there are also those that think that the Hummingbird Moths come from the larva of the Carolina Sphinx or the Five Spotted Hawkmoth, both sphinx moths and the parents of the Tobacco, Tomato, hornworm.

o
RE: white line sphinx moth- case of mistaken identity?

So, you're sure about the ID of your Sphinx moth? Just checking. The larvae of most Sphingidae have a horn, making them pretty recognizable; they are often pretty large, as well.

If yours is really the Whitelined Sphinx moth, it enjoys a wide range of host plants, something a bit unusual in this family. I've identified them on oaks and elms, tomatoes, and even portulaca but they can also be
found on many other plants. If populations are high, they can be a pest of tomatoes, grapes, and other crops. Yes...I said tomatoes.

The "beneficial " aspect is complex but you should try to understand it as much as possible. These moths visit an enormous variety of flowers, especially those that become strongly scented at night. Therefore, they are pollinators. It's the larvae that can cause problems IF your crops are their host plants AND they are in large enough numbers. Accurate ID is very important.

As a market grower, you need to find dependable information resources for insect identification. If you can provide pretty good pictures, you have a much better chance at getting some accurate information. Not just here in the Gardenweb but at your Extension office and other places.

I'll be happy to help when I can....just post in here or email.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here