Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Springtails

Posted by sthelp MO (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 1:55

We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested with Springtails. I mean if you look in the dirt they are everywhere.

I really don't care about in the yard but they are coming in the house. Not in huge numbers but enough to be annoying. We have a 2 story home and they frequent the bottom level. They usually come under the door in the back so on the tile we'll have quite a few. The bathroom downstairs always has 2-4 in the sink and 5-10 in the tub.

We even get a few that come out of the drains upstairs.

I've tried spraying around the foundatioin and that doesn't seem to help. There really isn't any mulch around the foundation. The back yard does have straw in it as they were trying to grow grass but it's really patchy.

Should I rake up all the straw?

Also I notice that in the front of the house we have no issues at all and in the front half of the lawn we actually have sod installed...would it help to have sod put in the back yard?

There are just so many I'm afraid one days there'll be thousands in the house if I don't do something.

If they would just stay out of the house I'd be fine. I'm going to caulk the door tomorrow as well.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Springtails

In the home, they can develop nesting sites any where it remains nice and moist, including inside the walls, under slabs, along pipes and drains. They may not be coming in from outside, is what I am suggesting. Is your home newly built? Not uncommon for them to build up large numbers in a new home.

Do all that you can do to eliminate moisture problems in and around the home. If you have a crawl space, that is a likely area for a large population of spring tails to arise.

Proper control probably requires the services of a well trained professional, and I suggest that you arm yourself with information gleaned from the web before making calls. You don't want someone who will come out and simply spray around the perimeters as you did (totally not effective) but will actually try to seek some nesting places.

o

That a very strong possibility...it is a new house. I see them coming out of the drains and also sometims out from under the walls so that's a good point. I also notice them come under the door plating so I caulked that all in.

If they were in the house why would they be coming up one drain but not another?

Location of nesting site?

o

I guess my first question is why are you bothered by springtails?

As a general rule they are attracted by moisture and decomposing organic matter. Rarely are they anything more than a nuisance as house guests, not generally damaging to anything.

In your new home you may well have moisture issues as homes are not protected by anything against rain until the roof is on and windows in. So, you may well have moisture spots inside walls and whatnot. That you find them around drains isn't suprising given the moisture and there is probably sources of decomposing organic matter they consider food building up in those drains.

If you absolutely must kill them rather than wait them out until they disappear on their own due to changing environmental conditions (whatever moisture they were attracted to will likely dry up eventually) then use any product containing pyrethrins which are known to kill them.

Don't do a perimeter spray as it is pointless and pyrethrins kill much more than the springtails. Just target those areas where you notice significant populations as well as any areas in your home you know to have moisture issues.

o

I have had a severe infestation of springtails in my house starting in July when it was very hot and humid. It took a couple of weeks for me to realize I had something other than mosqitos or fleas in the house. I spent a lot of money on various DIY treatments and so on. One exterminator said to just wait it out and wouldn't come to do anything. Another came three times with little success. After a lot of research, I discovered the humidity aspect of control and am keeping the house humidity under 40%. I run a dehumidifier full time and keep fans going on the basement floors. They are everywhere, including on me, in my hair and bed. There's no place to sit or lie down in my home where they don't come after me looking for moisture. I've awakened in the morning with eyes, ears, nose and mouth full of them. It's disgusting. They don't like Bounce dryer sheets and lint roller (that thing has saved my sanity!) or talcum powder. I have covered all floors, furniture, beds, etc., with borax, used sprays made of various liquids: orange degreaser, windex, Dawn dishwashing liquid, pure vanilla, alcohol, essential oils (tea tree, clove, cedar, juniper, oregano) with little success. I've soaked everything that touches me for two hours in hot vinegar/borax, then wash in hottest water with detergent and tea tree oil, dry on hottest temperature. It helps at the time, but you can't treat everything in the house at the same time and they move around. I keep clothes I'm going to wear next in the deep freeze, put them on after a little warm up and leave. It's the only way I can go out and not have bugs crawling around under my clothing. If anyone has better ideas, please share.

o

To control insects that are in, or coming in, the house you need to understand what they need, such as moisture and food, and eliminate those things which in turn will eliminate the insects. Spraying poisons only controls the symptoms, the insects, and not the reasons they are there and that means you will have more, In addition those poisons will harm you as you breath them.

o

I have a 5 year old house and have had an infestations of springtails since day 1. This year is the worst ever. I have used 4 different professional exterminators and they are pretty useless. I have been doing my own spraying inside and outside, especially under the siding. We also bomb our basement monthly in the summer. I noticed today they are unbelivable in numbers this year and come out in droves just after a rain storm. The home owner that has them in the house on her clothes etc should bomb her house. Then go to Southern States and buy Talstar concetrate and a pump sprayer and spray inside and outside monthly.

I am ready to remove my siding because I think they are nesting in my siding.

o

To effectively control springtails, or any other unwanted insect in the house, you need to know something about them and the environment that encourages them to breed and grow. Once that is understood and steps are taken to change that environment they will disappear without using any kind of poison that is harmful to you as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Springtails

o

I too have been suffering with springtails for over two years. Our home had nests under the carpeting and I thought the little "bites" I was getting was from fleas. We had the house treated professionally but we still have them everywhere.
Obviously I am one of the 5% of the population bothered by these insects but I would give anything to be rid of them. We still have the house treated monthly...inside and out...we run fans and dehumidifiers but this area seems to have them everywhere.
If anyone has a suggestion as to how to keep the population down to a minimum, please share. I am so tired of losing sleep and vacuuming this entire house daily.

o

lynduh47, did you read the link supplied above?
Springtails do not bite humans, they do feed on decaying organic matter. What you have probably is not what you think you have.

o
Springtails *DO* Bite Some of Us!

Posted by lynduh47 Jul 31, 2014
I too have been suffering with springtails for over two years. Our home had nests under the carpeting and I thought the little 'bites' I was getting was from fleas. We had the house treated professionally but we still have them everywhere. Obviously I am one of the 5% of the population bothered by these insects but I would give anything to be rid of them. We still have the house treated monthly...inside and out...we run fans and dehumidifiers but this area seems to have them everywhere. If anyone has a suggestion as to how to keep the population down to a minimum, please share. I am so tired of losing sleep and vacuuming this entire house daily.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
Hi Lynduh,

Wouldn't you like to invite the naysayers (springtails DON'T bite!) over to your house for a little feast? I agree that most people are not bothered - at least not to the extent that we are. Perhaps these little buggers are either engineered or have morphed from massive pesticide exposure in their natural environment. Have you ever checked your candida levels? Everyone has it in their bodies; some more than others. Depending on diet, they may like you better due to the yeast in your body. Check your candida levels here: foodmatters.tv/articles-1/how-to-overcome-candida-naturally

I am sure that is what I have...and in all it's life stages. I have photos, including microscopic ones from egg to adult stages. I have spent hundreds of dollars on cedarcide - with very little remedy. Pesticides are not the answer either, which is why I chose to fog with cedar. It has reduced a little, but not much. Every week they break out again in stages. The stage that hops is annoying; but the newborns bite so hard if feels like they have teeth. I too purchased a dehumidifier, with little improvement. From what I read, the next step to remedy a severe infestation is to find the cause. As soon as I can get into the room where they started, and clear out the jam packed large closet, I plan to get a plumber in here to insert a camera into the wall. This room backs up to a bathroom that has serious leaks when it was being built 11 years ago. Perhaps the company responsible [who fixed it], didn't do the job well to repair it.

That same bathroom had a builder error and they had to jackhammer the floor to move the toilet. I have heard if that process causes a hairline crack to occur in the foundation (slab), that can also be a source for carpet infestation. So finding the source is critical. It may be more than just the carpet discovery.I pitched all of my plants and now I am mainly the source of food. I have changed my diet drastically, in order to not have such a high candida content in my body. My partner is also being bit, but not to the extent that I am. I launder the sheets daily - take a shower before bed using peppermint soap (Dr Bonners), also using a natural enzyme called Kleen Free Naturally, make the bed after the shower then hop in. Since they jump and float (infestation of all stages have different behaviors), I keep double top sheets up over my head!! But I have a c-pap machine, so I can breathe under the covers. Otherwise they jump and disturb my sleep if I am exposed. What a life!

I also keep my towels, sheets and clothing in plastic garbage bags, to keep these buggers out. I put the box springs and mattress in vinyl zip pouches. You can find those at bed, bath & beyond for $20/each to fit your bedding. Be sure to bag your pillow and sleeping partner's pillow as well. I make him shower before bed and put his clothes in the washer with mine nightly. Only then can I get a decent night's sleep without that crawling/biting/jumping feeling they create at different stages. They reproduce about every week. You can tell, because the activity increases.

Before I fog again @$100/bottle for cedarcide (twice this week and still getting symptoms of biting/crawling/jumping), my next investment will be to start looking in areas nearby water sources. Aside from feasting on me, they must have another source in the house that is damp/mildew.

I have only been dealing with this since June 2014. TWO YEARS?! I would be utterly bonkers.

Good luck finding the cause and treatment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check Your Candida Levels

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here