Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porcupines

Posted by Charl_CT Cape Town (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 05 at 5:11

Ideas on discouraging these creatures would be appreciated as they have taken a great liking to the bulbs (naturally occuring) that I have in my garden.

My problem is that I have Proteas which die off once their roots are disturbed. I have even lost lavenders and rosemary bushes because of the deep excavations made. It is impractical to fence them all. Also, I don't want to fence the entire garden as I don't want to create a prison system for the other creatures that inhabit it or pass through.

Anybody have a design for a trap? The best solution would be to trap them and release them in a nearby nature reserve.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porcupines

Well, this is a new one! Just what do South African porcupines look like? I expect that they are different from the typical species we might find in NA?

I did a quick search and it seems that porcupines can be a problems over here, too. They respond very well to the predator scent repellents. Wolf, coyote, and fox urines are very popular repellents for lots of creatures and work very successfully.

Unless your SA porcies have no natural predators, I feel sure that this might be a better way to go rather than trapping.

o
RE: Porcupines

• Posted by Cady 6b/Sunset34 MA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 5, 05 at 15:44

Maybe in SA there is the equivalent to wolf, coyote and fox urines -- Cape hunting dog urine? Hyena urine? Lion urine? Jackal urine? Those probably would work to deter a SA "porker." I have seen the SA species. It shares a lot of similarities to our North American one, and perhaps share a common ancestor from back when Africa and South America were one landmass 40 million years ago.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here