Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swtluv88420

Plants that will repel mice, Help!

swtluv88420
10 years ago

I am renting an older trailer home and I'm getting field mice and lizards in my home and I have a young child so this is driving me crazy, my landlords don't seem to care about fixing this place and I don't have a ton of money to try to find a seal all the weak spots properly so I'm wondering if there are some plants that can help with this situation. I read about mint?? Are there any other plants that will help keep critters away? Also my soil is pretty sandy so what kind of mint or other plants can I plant and keep alive? I get plenty of sun. Any advice is welcome. Please help!

Comments (5)

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

There is some information out there that indicates that fresh peppermint can repel mice, although the dried leaves do not seem to be effective. I've not seen much of any plant that would consistently repel mice if they wanted the food on the other side of that barrier.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Repellent plants is wishful thinking.

Get rid of their food.
    If they're in buildings, block their entry.
    Trap and repeat as needed.

This post was edited by jean001a on Wed, May 7, 14 at 0:51

• eibren
    9 years ago

If you want a plant that would be most effective, I would try a border of catnip completely around your trailer. Hopefully this will attract a companionable cat or two that will choose to live under your trailer and solve your problem for you.

The lizards and field mice may be eating roaches and other unsavory insects for you, so try not to hate them too much, even though the mice can be destructive and unsanitary if they stay too long. Possibly you could find a clean, well behaved cat that you could actually allow in once in awhile to chase them away. If they get in your walls, they still need to come out to eat, so if you have any unprotected food make certain it is in a spot where your cat can catch mice. It would probably not be good for your child to eat a lizard, or have a mouse bite him or her, so you might want to have them sleep in a screened-in enclosure for awhile; you might be able to find one of those at Goodwill as well, or check on eBay for a used one. For an older child, just set it on the bed the child is now using, sideways if necessary.

The lizards are probably not harmful to an older child, and will help to keep your home free of insect pests, but a cat will also deplete their numbers.

You should also make certain there is not an accessible water source in your home--even a dripping faucet can attract mice. When soaking dishes, always make certain to add a bit of soap to the water, and if you have houseplants make certain not to water them so much that water accumulates in the saucers underneath.

Check out Goodwill or other resources where you can find large inexpensive tins or glass containers to store dry foods like rice, cereals, etc etc and keep your bread in the fridge if at all possible. Discount stores like Ollies, Big Lots, or Ocean State Job Lots sometimes have cost effective containers that can be purchased as well.

Hope this has given you some helpful ideas.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Lizards are pretty hard to catch with your bare hands. I would get some cheap snap traps for your house (indoor mice). Peanut butter makes a great bait.

• runningoutofpatience
    9 years ago

Please don't get a cat just to eat mice. They need good vet care, which is expensive, and you MUST feed a cat beyond expecting it to eat mice. Plug all the holes around your home with plain (non-soap) steel wool, which is very cheap. Plant peppermint all around your house. Look up Fresh Cab, which is a cheap indoor repellant. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repel Mice with Farmer's Secret

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH