Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lifeworthliving

Something is eating this newbies stuff

lifeworthliving
20 years ago

Please help me with what ever is eating my new plants. Not all are being nibbled on, but most. Marigold, zinnia, red runner bean every plant i have with leaves like those are being consumed. Even my bottlebrush has a webbie looking place on it.

What do I use to rid whatever it is? These are all my butterfly gardens too!! So not much can I use.

Thanks, Life

Comments (7)

• enchantedplace
    20 years ago

We hate to use any insecticide but it is sometimes a necessity. We have found this to be an effective product. You might reseach control of Japanese Beetles. We are seeing beetles now that we've never had before, maybe due to a warmer than usual winter plus recent rain. This product has been effective for everything we have needed to use it to control. Link below. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: garden spray

• lifeworthliving
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks enchantedplace, I will try that. Better than watching my babies eaten away.

Life

• ALLIEBEAN
    19 years ago

If you use this product, say goodbye to your butterflies! Pyrethrins are also highly toxic to toads, frogs etc. Could you maybe try something a little less drastic, like insecticidal soap? Or try to determine exactly what insect is doing the damage so that you could use a product which only targets that particular insect and does not harm beneficial ones?

• lifeworthliving
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm not finding anything out there. But my babies are being eaten alive. How can I tell what it is?

• cindy528
    19 years ago

I have the same problem on my butterfly bushes and tonight I found the culprits. Earwigs and lots of them, I don't know if they are doing the eating but they were all over my butterfly bush that looks like it is going bald.

• Ladystrange
    19 years ago

I am having the same problems, only in Illinois. Something is consuming our marigolds, sunflowers and morning glories (leaves) and we have seen ants. Our mailbox is infested with earwigs right now, could they be in my garden as well? What is the safest way of dealing with these two pests? Thanks for any help!

• sarahbn
    19 years ago

Use Diatomaceous earth or insecticidal soap It's supposed to kill earwigs. Sarah

Here is a link that might be useful: gardeners supply