Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rrcrossing

Gophers

rrcrossing
16 years ago

I'm a retired fella living on a few acres in a rural environment; got a couple horses, dogs, cats, chickens and GOPHERS.

I like a challenge and gophers will do that. Can't afford and don't want to use that propane gophernator. Too much risk of fire in our dry climate. I'm working on a rube goldberg system of compressing auto exhaust for injection into gopher runs. I've read that it works.

Several months back a teenager doing chores told me to open a gopher run, put the trap in as far as I could and then put a 12 inch by 1.5 inch pvc pipe into the end of the run. He said the gopher will go through the trap trying to get close to the opening in order to close it. Worked for me a couple of time and didn't work a couple of times.

I've always liked opening the runs and inserting trap in each direction. Problem was closing the hole. Evolved to where I just closed each run. I usually put a piece of carrot behind the trap to entice the gopher into the trap.

Had a brain storm the other day concurrent with a gopher incursion into the garden. Took a couple of soup cans, punched a small hole in the bottom end, put a one inch screw through the hole and threaded onto that screw inside the can a short piece of carrot. The I put the trap into the run and used the can with the carrot bait to seal the hole. It works and the gopher doesn't get the bait.

Bob

Central Arizona

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!