Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannier_gw

way to repel yellowjackets from under deck?

JeannieR
17 years ago

Hi,

I did do a search of the garden web forums for yellowjackets.

Been reading them for two days!

But I thought I'd ask about a repellent that could be sprayed under my deck. Anyone ever heard or used such a thing?

I have many queen yellowjackets swarming around my deck building nests underneigh it. Also all around the front entrance of the house. (faces east) (and the barn and the shed etc)

When we had guina fowl they ate ALL the yellowjackets and went over to both of our neighbors and ate all of their yellowjackets and cleaned all the pests out of their gardens. Wish we could have them again

I made some traps. Don't really think they will work. It may be too late to trap the queen. Also I've never been able to get a trap to work even store bought.

I don't mind other kinds of wasps and bees. I just watch that I don't grab them or step on them while they are busy in my flowers. Even the black paper wasps are not a problem.

But these darn yellowjackets are very agresive. They go after you when you walk out of the house.

This used to be in the late summer, but they are acting that way now this spring. Besides I can't even walk out on my deck, much less sit on it, or travel over it out to the garden. And it is just the end of April!!

Well I had the thought, since my husband can't get under the new deck and spray soapy water on the nests like he could the old one. He did it at night, while the queens were just the only one on the tiny nest. But there were 50-100 of them.

I thought is there something that could be sprayed under the deck to repel them? Neem? Other essentional oils?

I know yellowjackets are benifical, but I can't have them living on/in my house and flower beds. They have lots of other places to live out in the fields. And there are huge amounts of them. Didn't I read somewhere that these are some kind of importated pest? Not the native yellowjacket?

I've only found one ground nest ever. These pests build paper nests everywhere. Underneigh the tinyest overhang everywhere on the house. And under the siding especilly on the front entrance (east side) of the house.

Thanks, Jean

Comment (1)

Sponsored
TR Granite & Stone Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Countertop in Loudoun County, VA