Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more on fire ants

Posted by astroscopis Eastern NC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 05 at 16:06

Can any body give me some plant uptake information on Amdro and its possible half-life in or around food gardens? Fire ants have made it here ( for some time now) ,and I have kept them under control w/Amdro very effectively, but now they are near and in my raised veg beds. I'd like to still use the Amdro, but literature searches have not told me anything about its use near food vegs, other than you shouldn't. Any input would be appreciated before I get the seedlings in and have to deal with the critters.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more on fire ants

Can you call your county extension agent? They *should* have info on this. Please let us know what you find out, because many of us are dealing with the fire ant issue.

o

County extension agents around here are like the internet, a lot of info to be had but not a lot of it beyond what I already know or have found out by other means. Great folks doing good things, don't get me wrong, but I think I'm looking for something more technical. I will happily post any info on Amdro and food plants when I find it.

o

Amdro lasts for quite a long time in the soil. It should never be used around food crops. Have you looked into the products containing Spinosad? They are becoming quite popular and when used properly, are reported to be very effective.

Can't tell you any of the brand names, but I'm sure a quick google search will help you with that.

o

• Posted by ccox z8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 17:36

Hi, I googled "Amdro and Vegetable Gardens" and came up with an extensive list put together by Texas A&M university. It's pretty comprehensive on what you can/can't use and even gives brand names.
I'm glad you brought this up. I don't grow many veggies (peas, beets and tomatoes), but I've always just thrown the Amdro down because I thought it was "safe".

Here is a link that might be useful: Maybe some good ideas

o

many thanks to all of the responders...I'll share what I come up with if ever I get the time.

o

Ants in veggie gardens are really easy to deal with. FIrst, you get a really long stick. Then, you whack the heck out of the mound a couple of times. The ants move along, usually to a spot that's OK to use Amdro in and then you can put the bait there. Stick whacking works in flower beds too, where you can't wait for them to die off and they've built a nest undeneath a prize plant that exposes all of the roots to dehydration. Follow it up the next day with a good soaking with the hose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here