Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on using dunks

Posted by phoebe1969 z7CA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 04 at 21:13

If I am using a 2 gln watering can and put in 1/4 chunk of Dunk is that enough and do I have to let it sit over night before using it. Thank you
p.s. anyone know where to buy something easier?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on using dunks

What are you attempting to control? Dunks are usually just placed in the body of water you are intending to control the mosquito larvae in.

o

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am wanting to use this to control gnats in the plant soil of my outdoor containers. I read that you use Bacillus. I'm sure these are not shore flys but fungus gnats that came in a plant I ordered thru a catalogue compnay :(

o

Phoebe, I use about a quarter size chunk of dunk...hey I like the way that sounds... in a 2 gallon bucket. After It's been in there overnight or for a few hours, I pour about 2 quarts in a watering can, but leave the chunk in the bucket. Then I add more water to the bucket. This way the Bacillus lasts for a long time. I have been using this indoors for fungus gnats and it has been very effective. It did take a few days though. Also, keep using it for a little while after the gnats are gone to be sure you get all the larvae. Lisa

o

• Posted by Byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Thu, May 6, 04 at 21:22

Dunks are for skeeters

Gnatrol is a Bt made for fungus gnats

o

Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis is the same active ingredient in Gnatrol and mosquito dunks. For heavy fungus gnat infestations you may need to re-apply two or three times at 5 day intervals. Bt only targets the immature stages and the adults live around 3 weeks. The best solution though is non-chemical: keep the soil as dry as horticulturally possible with infrequent, deep watering if the plants can stand it.

o

"The best solution though is non-chemical"

Bt is non-chemical. Your point on cultural methods is valid, however.

o

It's probably a matter of semantics and gets into a gray area where people have isolated and identified the active ingredient from a natural source. The delta endotoxin is naturally produced from a bacterial source. I also consider Spinosad (derived from another bacterial soil dweller) to be chemical, though it too naturally-derived. I don't think that there's much debate about rotenone, pyrethrum, or nicotine as being chemicals despite their natural origin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here