Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wasps wanting vacant birdhouse.

Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 0:27

I have some birdhouses here, most are used regularly and occasionally some are vacant. I have a vacant Bluebird house that wasps want to use for their own nest ;-( It's mounted on a stockade fence post that I can access now but in a few weeks it will be hard to do as large perennials are growing beneath it.

Other than flipping up the door and giving a sharp blast with the hose nozzle to dislodge the forming hive, is there a better way to deter wasps from wanting to use that nest-box? I don't feel comfortable spraying with a pesticide, I'd rather deter them and redirect them so they'll go do their thing elsewhere. It's kinda scary to flip up the lid and find the wasps inside so I would like to just keep them out of it permanently.

If I took the door off the nestbox would the wasps be less inclined to use it? I suppose a bird that likes a relatively open niche might still use the box--I think the box is too narrow for a pidgeon nest but maybe a robin might like it, who knows yet what bird will take over the box without a door, but the main hope is that the openess with discourage the wasps.

I need your best suggestions please,

Kindly,

Trudi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wasps wanting vacant birdhouse.

• Posted by trudi_d 7, Long Island (My Page) on
    Sat, May 29, 10 at 15:03

Recieved my anwer.

o

and what is that answer if some one else is having a sim problem?

o

Hi Trudi,

Happened to see your post on this forum and I see you got an answer, but wanted to let others know what to do about wasps in birdboxes. This is a common problem and what we do that seems to work besides weekly monitoring, is to rub Ivory soap on the top and upper sides of the box where the wasps like to start their nests. This does not harm birds and deters the wasps. Other soaps may contain chemicals and fragrances that could cause problems, so stick with Ivory.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here