Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emeo2005

Lots of Orange Caterpillars! Will my plant survive?

Emeo2005
18 years ago

Hi all,

We just discovered today that our canary plant is invested with easily 50 orange caterpillars.

Do you think we should pick them off the plants? Or should we leave them alone so that they will finish their metamorphasis?

We saw the caterpillas are in various stage. They look cute but way too many of them.

We feel bad killing them but we also feel bad for the plants.

Please help!

Emeo

Comments (10)

• tdogmom
    18 years ago

What is a 'Canary Plant?' I've never heard of this. Can you post a picture of the caterpillar? I'm from the Butterfly Forum and would be most interested in seeing thisÂThey obviously will turn into either a butterfly or mothÂ

• taylorp
    18 years ago

I just discovered dozens of small orange caterpillars, hairy ones, all over my beloved 30 year old Desert Rose and they are eating it up! I don't know how to post a photo. It has black hairs sticking out all over it.

• organic_laura
    17 years ago

I have a mandavilla and there are like 15 of these orange with black long hair on it. I live in South Florida where it is very warm-Hollywood/Dania Beach area. What kind are they and will my plant survive if I let them keep eating it?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

organic laura....in the future you may want to post your own brand new question, to insure that you get the answers you are looking for. Rather than piggy-back on someone else's question, I mean.

'Oleander' caterpillars can be found on other plants in the same family as oleander, Apocynaceae. Mandevilla is one of those plants. I would assume that the caterpillar you have been seeing is the oleander caterpillar as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:104511}}

• Jamieleespears_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I have these too! There are about 200 plus all over the plants in my backyard but not only that there are about 6 nests in the corners of my deck. They are hatching at an uncontrolable rate. We want to cut the plants down ( they are about 6ft)and claer the larvae nests but don't know if that's inhumane. Help please?

• Kimmsr
    16 years ago

There is a cereal grain known as Canary grain and a reed known as Canary Reed Grass, and I find allusions to some plant commmonly called a Canary Plant with little more anbout it than if is a plant that apparently needs lots of water and shows signs of stress when soil moisture levels drop even a little, indicating to me that it is a bog plant. If this is what you have and it is being grown outside of its proper environment you could have multiple problems, and those orange caterpillars may be the least.

• heathersmom
    16 years ago

I, too, have hairy orange caterpillars, on my trumpet vine. There are a bunch of smaller white caterpillars as well, with head-to-tail dark stripes. (Earlier instars, maybe?) I teach 3rd grade and we currently house Swallowtail and Monarch larvae. I'd love to add these to the collection, but have no idea how to raise them aside from keeping them supplied with trumpet vine leaves. (I'm not at all worried about the plant...it's kinda like kudzu...indestructible!!) Thanks for any help.

• brettandamy_ymail_com
    12 years ago

I also have a lot of these orange caterpillars. Does any one know what kind of they are?
    Below is a link to a picture of the same catterpillar that is eating my plants.
    Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Caterpillars eating my plants

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Amy, it can be quite helpful to read some of the older posts in this thread. You will have learned that your caterpillars are the Oleander caterpillar. There is a link with a picture in the post dated Oct 2, '06.