Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots of Orange Caterpillars! Will my plant survive?

Posted by Emeo2005 10b PR (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 0:54

Hi all,

We just discovered today that our canary plant is invested with easily 50 orange caterpillars.
Do you think we should pick them off the plants? Or should we leave them alone so that they will finish their metamorphasis?
We saw the caterpillas are in various stage. They look cute but way too many of them.
We feel bad killing them but we also feel bad for the plants.
Please help!

Emeo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots of Orange Caterpillars! Will my plant survive?

What is a 'Canary Plant?' I've never heard of this. Can you post a picture of the caterpillar? I'm from the Butterfly Forum and would be most interested in seeing thisThey obviously will turn into either a butterfly or moth

o

I just discovered dozens of small orange caterpillars, hairy ones, all over my beloved 30 year old Desert Rose and they are eating it up! I don't know how to post a photo. It has black hairs sticking out all over it.

o

Emeo2005, I am not familiar with that common name, either. But I would suggest that if you value your plant, you should remove some of those caterpillars! Caterpillars that damage plants in large numbers can be overpowering and the plant may find it difficult to recover. Unless you are in the business of growing butterflies or moths, I would collect some of those caterpillars and take some pressure off the plant! Leave a couple on there if you want to.

If you can give us a better idea of what your plant is, we can help ID the caterpillar. Many tend to be host specific.

taylorp, you have the oleander caterpillar on your Desert Rose.

o

I have a mandavilla and there are like 15 of these orange with black long hair on it. I live in South Florida where it is very warm-Hollywood/Dania Beach area. What kind are they and will my plant survive if I let them keep eating it?

o

organic laura....in the future you may want to post your own brand new question, to insure that you get the answers you are looking for. Rather than piggy-back on someone else's question, I mean.

'Oleander' caterpillars can be found on other plants in the same family as oleander, Apocynaceae. Mandevilla is one of those plants. I would assume that the caterpillar you have been seeing is the oleander caterpillar as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oleander caterpillar

o

I have these too! There are about 200 plus all over the plants in my backyard but not only that there are about 6 nests in the corners of my deck. They are hatching at an uncontrolable rate. We want to cut the plants down ( they are about 6ft)and claer the larvae nests but don't know if that's inhumane. Help please?

o

There is a cereal grain known as Canary grain and a reed known as Canary Reed Grass, and I find allusions to some plant commmonly called a Canary Plant with little more anbout it than if is a plant that apparently needs lots of water and shows signs of stress when soil moisture levels drop even a little, indicating to me that it is a bog plant. If this is what you have and it is being grown outside of its proper environment you could have multiple problems, and those orange caterpillars may be the least.

o

I, too, have hairy orange caterpillars, on my trumpet vine. There are a bunch of smaller white caterpillars as well, with head-to-tail dark stripes. (Earlier instars, maybe?) I teach 3rd grade and we currently house Swallowtail and Monarch larvae. I'd love to add these to the collection, but have no idea how to raise them aside from keeping them supplied with trumpet vine leaves. (I'm not at all worried about the plant...it's kinda like kudzu...indestructible!!) Thanks for any help.

o

I also have a lot of these orange caterpillars. Does any one know what kind of they are?
Below is a link to a picture of the same catterpillar that is eating my plants.
Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange Caterpillars eating my plants

o

Amy, it can be quite helpful to read some of the older posts in this thread. You will have learned that your caterpillars are the Oleander caterpillar. There is a link with a picture in the post dated Oct 2, '06.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here