Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs pests and turtles

Posted by half_eaten_thumb usda10 (My Page) on
Tue, May 2, 06 at 1:31

Need a little help again, I have a variety of fruits and veggies that are beginning to be eaten alive and I can not seem to stop it. Reason is that this past summer we adopted 3 endangered california Tortoises and while they are having a great time in the yard eating random items as they see fit, I am not able to guard against other pests (ie rollie-pollies) white flies and slugs because I can not use a topical pesticide with them around. I have had some success with chili-pepper seeds in hot water then into a spray-bottle (works great on aphids) but the rollie-pollie's and slugs don't seem to mind it. Help!!! I would like to enjoy even one strawberry this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs pests and turtles

So your problem is control of pill bugs (rollie pollie) and slugs in a way that is non toxic to tortoises?

First off understand I have no knowledge of what is or isn't toxic to the turtles.

Sluggo is made from iron phosphate (the toxin) and a wheat de-
rivative which serves as bait. Again, I don't know the first thing about what is or isn't toxic to turtles, but I suggest you look into iron phosphate and turtle to determine if it is safe as sluggo is about as safe as it gets when it comes to effective slug killers. Sure, you can use beer in a can, but this doesn't do much against a well populated slug infestation.

Pill bugs are another story. They are attracted to moisture and decaying material which is common to any mulched or organic enriched garden area. Diatomaceous earth won't harm the turtles, but will kill the pill bugs. It will also kill the slugs. Use food grade, not pool grade. You may have to search around or buy online. Google for 'food grade diatomaceous earth' to find online suppliers.

o

Any good garden center should carry horticultural (=food grade) DE.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, May 3, 06 at 17:15

A friend who kept turtles limited their access to the yard/garden.

o

Cold caffienated coffee sprayed on affected plant leaves will hinder the slugs very effectively, even after the coffee has dried. The roly polys are not a pest.

o

Why would you say roly polys are not pests - they are systematically eating half of every strawberry in the patch!!! - Please help

o

• Posted by ellix augusta ga (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 22:38

My understanding is that the turtles like strawberries--could they be eating them?

o

I am getting a tortoise-native to AZ and want to know what plants I could plant that they like to eat.

o

Most all turtles are omnivores, they will eat most anything animal or vegetable. So if you have strawberries being eaten and you have turtles around it may well be them, and your roly polys are coming to clean up behind them.

Here is a link that might be useful: what do turtles eat

This post was edited by kimmsr on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 7:08

o

Can you put a fence up around your garden? Slugs love beer. Put some in a tuna can. They will get in there and drown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here