Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weaver ants! Friend or foe?

Posted by enoughcliches Tropical (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 07 at 3:30

I woke up today and got a shock when I realized my garden was being swarmed by red weaver ants. I had noticed a few of them over the past weeks, but had always assumed they were just 'strays'. Now they're building their leaf-nests all over my morning glories and hibiscus plants. I did read somewhere that some gardeners use them as a form of natural pest control, but is it worth it to endure painful bites and unslightly bunches of leaves? What are the most effective methods of control that will have a minimal impact on my organic garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weaver ants! Friend or foe?

Whether these highly social ants are a friend or foe can only be judged by you. There are plant species that secrete sap designed to attract these wee buggers, other plants do nothing active to attract them and few have been found that would actually try to inhibit their presence.
I have seen nothing that will control them that wil not also kill off many other beneficials. If you could find the queen ant and eliminate her the colony might move on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here