Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Black Bugs

Posted by aircad3 10a (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 7:48

Hello,

This morning I noticed some discolorization on my bougainvillea leaves and upon further inspection discovered a group of small black bugs. What is the best strategy to get rid of these guys? Do I need to isolate the plant while I get rid of them? I have quite a few potted plants near this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Black Bugs

Here is a picture of the bugs.

o

Too little detail to discern shape etc.

Black bugs? or black frass (poops)?

This post was edited by jean001a on Sun, May 12, 13 at 12:38

o

Are these wee unidentifiable bugs the root cause of the problem or is it something else? It kind of looks to me like you might have some leaf borers which would not necessarily be repated to those black bugs.

o

It's really hard for me to say as I'm a novice gardener and have limited experience with pests. I do think there is more than one type of pest attacking my plant. I did notice some small slug like bugs which I have tried to show in this picture (I need a better camera). If you look on the leaf in the middle you see a brown blob. (I know it's a horrible picture).

As far as I know none of the bugs have wings. Yes Jean you might be right... the black bugs might just be poop... I don't see them moving.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here