Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
non-visible damage by carpenter bees

Posted by coeng NE NJ (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 9:21

Need suggestions for eliminating my carpenter bee problem. They are landing on the vinyl siding on either side of my gable vents and climbing up under the white metal fascia board covering. So there is no visible damage from the outside, but still tons of sawdust flying down. Saw four females working for several hours yesterday. Seems like the males are no longer around. A few weeks back it was the opposite problem...the males were making passes at me every time I walked into my backyard.

Called a local exterminator and was told they can only plug holes that are visible from the outside, which is not the case for me.

I know the damage is only cosmetic, but that excuse will only get you so far if it happens (as bad as it is now) every season. We only bought this house last summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: non-visible damage by carpenter bees

If you are seeing sawdust the damage probably is not "only cosmetic". You need someone that will crawl into where needed, not some "exterminator" that will simply plug holes, so the extent of the damage can be assessed so you will know what repairs might be needed when the problme is fixed. You do not want someone that will come in and spray something or plug some holes, they need to get in and fully assess the problem.
Bee nests have very few males (drones) at any time and they are around only long enough to fertilizer the queen and then die. All of the workers in any bee hive will be female.

o

Understood, the question is who to call in this case.

o

Kimmsr, carpenter bees don't make 'hives'. They have quite a different life cycle than whatever it is you're thinking of. Carpenter bee males are very much in the picture for several weeks, guarding the solitary nests that the females make and having fist fights all day long. Their antics are hilarious, in my opinion.

Coeng, have you called and talked to other pest control companies to see if someone ELSE has a good suggestion? You might even call your local Rutgers' Extension office to see if they have anyone on hand to offer some good advice.

o

I plugged holes once and they re opened them. They seem to always use the same holes and no new ones have appeared after many years...I sort of think of them as pets. They have not done any serious damage. We put up special wood just for them to use, but they go back to the old holes. My house is 160 years old and still standing, so I wouldn't panic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here