Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mesh for carpenter bees

Posted by coeng NE NJ (My Page) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 9:25

I am looking to buy a mesh like material to stuff in the gaps between my vinyl siding and rake boards. The carpenter bees fly into this gap and bore holes on the back side of the the rake boards.

The YouTube video link below has the solution I am looking for. I just don't know where to get the material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P16Z_mSjDc

Here is a link that might be useful: mesh for carpenter bees

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mesh for carpenter bees

coeng, I looked at the video but couldn't get an idea of what the mesh is. Could it simply be aluminum window screen cut into strips, folded, and stuffed into the gaps? If so, you can by that by the roll at a hardware store. The aluminum would fend off the bees, as well as be bendable and sturdy.

o

It could be window screen mesh but all I know is that I've had two estimates ranging from $250 to $400 per rake (I have three rakes on my house) to install this mystery material. Sounds like a rip off but I don't know for sure.

o

I didn't understand that you were trying to duplicate a professional procedure. Maybe if you knew just what the material is and how it is applied and why they do it that way, perhaps you'd be better able to decide if it's worth the cost...or not. It's not a rip off if you can't duplicate the results, right?

Certainly there are many projects around the home that we can do ourselves. When it comes to protecting our home, I tend to be very
conservative about what I want us to take on our own.

In this example, I would have to be darned sure that our efforts at
Excluding the carpenter bees was going to be successful. I've seen the damage that these bees can do.

o

Not looking to do it myself but if I can find the material and hire someone that won't charge a ridiculous amount of money I wouldn't mind saving over a $1000.

Stuffing material in such a manner is not rocket science and should not cost as much as these exterminators are charging people. They're taking advantage of desperate people.

o

Just found the answer to what was used in the video.

Cobra Ridge Vent material. See link below.

I hope this helps someone in the future with the same problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cobra Ridge Vent Material

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here