Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bat house?

Posted by TAB64 9b FL-Orlando (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 10:18

I hope someone in this forum knows. Bats do not bother me and are a natural bug management. So I bought a bat house now the problems. First it states it needs to be a min of 12' above ground and face south. I live in central FL. my house is a one story so in order to get it that high I have to mount it on a pole? Also will the heat from direct sun on this mounted pole be too much for the critters? Also how do you attract them to the house?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bat house?

They won't come unless the enviroment is suitable for them. They require shade, water, plentiful food source, etc....all the usual things. IF those factors are available THEN they may take advantage of a nice bat house. But the bat house won't attract them if the other things aren't there.

Some bat species prefer a more sheltered house, while others want something out in the open and will take up residence in a bathouse on a pole.

Be patient and do some more homework. It'll be rewarding when you succeed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida bat house successes

o
RE: Bat house?

I operate a bat exclusion company in central Florida. I get many requests from people that sound like this: "can you please trap some bats for me and put them in my bat house?"

It doesn't work that way! The bats have to find the bat house on their own, and they are more likely to do so if you follow the BCI guidelines posted above.

Also, this post proves that people want bats. If you do have bats in your house, it might be a blessing! Don't be so quick to try to get rid of them. If you do want to exclude them, make sure it's done right, and that none are harmed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bat Removal & Control in Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here