Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Malibu Mosquito Inhibitor - Does it Work?

Posted by Steve_K 6b (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 04 at 10:44

I'm bracing for the onslaught of the nasty biters due to the deluge of wet weather we've been experiencing here in "Canada South". Evenings have already begun to get unbearable due to mosquitos.

I've done as much research on the Mosquito Magnet as possible and have found mixed reviews; some great, some terrible, although everyone does seem to agree on the high outlay and upkeep costs!

What about Malibu's "Solar Mosquito Inhibitor"? Has anyone tried it? It says it masks human scents in a 100 sq. foot area using Linalool scent cartridges. It's MUCH more affordable in terms of outlay and materials. I'm really leaning toward getting a couple of these. Any experience with it?

(Thanks!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Malibu Mosquito Inhibitor - Does it Work?

Never heard of it, but a 100 square foot area is only 10 X 10. Thats not much area covered. Roy

o

The best thing to use for repelling mosquitos is a quick spray of Deep Woods OFF. It doesn't smell great, but it works. You can also burn citronella oil in tiki torches in your yard. If you have small ponds, you can buy mosquito dunks. They kill the larvae before they become adults that fly off to bite you. If you have large ponds, you might be able to aquire mosquito fish. They eat the larvae. Also get rid of any standing water around your yard... under potted plants, old tires, buckets, etc. It only takes a teaspoon of water and a few days (?) to breed hundreds of mosquitos. You might also want to contact your local Mosquito & Vector Control if you have one there. We are battling West Nile Virus here and so all we have to do is turn on the TV to get the phone number.

o

I live in Houston, TX where it is hot and humid more than half the year. I bought the solar Malibu Misquito Inhibitor about 3 years ago and it works great. I have a 24 x 24 patio and one works well. I did buy a second one because I can move it to other areas. By the way, I would be what you call a 'Misquito Magnet'. If I didn't have this little machine I wouldn't be able to stay outside past around 5pm most days.

o

I bought the Malibu Mosquito Inhibitor battery powered version and set it on the floor right next to where I was sitting. The mosquitoes were swarming all over me and were biting as much as usual. The product seems to be worthless as far as I am concerned, it was just a total waste of money.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here