Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mph101

Cochineal scales

MPH101
15 years ago

I think this is Cochineal scales due to the top photo showing the belly and when crushed a red dye comes out. The Cochineal scale insect is commercially raised for the quality red dye.

However a good photo on line is hard to find. What I find in photos is mainly on cacti (Opuntia). I cannot find a photo in my pest mgnt books.

I have had this scale from time to time on Sarracenia (pitcher plants), and Holly. Here it is on passiflora. It is likely to be a major pest on the Passiflora like it is on Holly. Time to get a good Id on this as my efforts on Holly have been poor.

These plants were sprayed yesterday with Marathon and I was inspecting to see that the caterpillars were killed when I found them.

I know once out of crawler stage pesticides are difficult on scales and various types work better then others on certain scale.

As this group of passiflora is slated for sale in mid July I need to get them under control now. Picking off with the fingers is the best way yet but I wonder if there are other solutions.

I have crossed post this to the garden clinic in case anyone makes a comment about the fact I did.

Thank you.

Mike

Hyde's Stove-House

ST. Petersburg Florida

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County