Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pill bug/sow bug problems

Posted by piranha338 8/9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 13:42

My sister is having problems with pill bugs/sow bugs in her garden. Being in an apartment, she has very little gardening space and she has already lost multiple plants to these guys. Is there any way to get rid of them without using chemicals? Thanks
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pill bug/sow bug problems

Pill bugs, sow bugs, cousins and land dwelling cousins of lobsters are part of Ma Natures recycling machine and live primarily on decaying vegetative waste. What are these wee buggers doing that requires someone "to get rid of them" in any way? These guys are seldom the real reason for living plant loss, but they get blamed for that becasue they are there cleaning up when people see the damage and the real culprits get away with it.

o

Brian, tell your sister to incorporate horticultural grade diatomaceous earth in the mulch, soil in the plant beds or containers. She might want to make sure that the area isn't getting overwatered, as well.

She can find the DE in garden centers or the garden department of most home improvement centers.

o

A population reduction IS necessary when there is a severe infestation. I don't know why everyone argues this matter.

If you have NOT had an infestation problem where pill bugs are problematic, this is not an indicator that others should not do something to rid themselves of pill bugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion on diminishing sow bug population.

o

Many people seem to have a lack of knowledge of the role the Pill Bugs, Sow Bugs, Wood Lice, etc. have in nature and so they ascribe the wrong interpretation to what they are and the role they play in nature. These wee critters need a cool, moist environment to live and reproduce in and if you provide that you will have an abundance of them, along with other critters that prefer that same environment that most likely caused the problem you are blaming the Pill Bugs for.
I also understand there are those that no matter how many entomologists I use as a source there are those that would rather believe myth and folklore, but I offer the link below for those that would like to educate themselves.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Pill Bugs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here