Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unidentified bug?

Posted by SarahTX (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 05 at 13:54

Hi!

Every summer I get attacked by these bugs when I walk outside... they are shaped like footballs (pointed ends), and are yellow-ish brown. They blend into my summer tan so I feel a bite and have to analyze my arm to find the stupid things. I don't get raised bumps from the bites, they just hurt like the dickens! And I don't think they're chiggers - chiggers are supposedly red.

Do you know what bug this is? And how to get rid of/decrease the numbers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unidentified bug?

I guess we all need a better description to help with this. Size, and other physical characteristics would help. Trust me, they are not chiggers....which are almost invisible to the naked eye.

I hope we can help ID your biting insect, but I'll warn you: the general rule about insects that bite us is to protect yourself from them with repellants or clothing, and not try to get rid of them all (which would be impossible)! But let's try to find out what it is and we'll go from there.

o

They sound like Pincher Bugs(Earwigs)

I have them to and am trying to get rid of them..
do they look like this
http://entomology.unl.edu/images/earwigs/euro_earwigs.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Earwig Picture

o

Buster that's scary looking! If that thing were on my arm I think I'd pass out.

I finally called a local nursery and tried to describe the bug. They said it's probably a thrip? They are so small I can't see the detail in the picture, but the description sounds about right.

Thanks for the help!

http://www.terminix.com/Pest/Library/index.cfm?fuseaction=category&pestCategory=Stinging&pestID=148

o

• Posted by ccox z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 26, 05 at 17:17

It really sounds like what you have are no-see-ums or see-me-nots. I'm not making those names up. I grew up in Missouri and we called them no-see-ums. Here in Texas, folks call them see-me-nots. They are named that for obvious reasons. The only thing that keeps them off is mosquito spray. We occasionally get a 'swarm' of them and you'll see folks slapping themselves and jumping around for what looks like no reason. They are harmless, but a terrible nuisance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here