Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmmills_gw

photos of yellow aphids?

mmmills
19 years ago

Found this herd of little yellow sucking bugs. They seem to like our butterfly weed. Are they aphids?

{{gwi:1002790}}

Closer...

{{gwi:1002791}}

lounging under a leaf...

{{gwi:1002792}}

Comments (9)

• jean001
    19 years ago

Yep. Lots and lots of aphids.

Butterfly plants get them! A sharp water spray, repeated as needed, will get them off the plant.

• ardnek710
    19 years ago

I wondered what those were, I find them all over my butterfly weed....

• sarahbn
    19 years ago

They're on swamp milkweed as well. Everytime I look there's more and more! Sarah

• ellamay
    19 years ago

Does spraying with water help aphid infestations? I've got black ones on my nasturtiums and yellow ones on my butterfly weed just like you guys. I've tried safer brand insecticidal soap but it seems to be a temporary fix and of course you are left with all the unsighly bodies. I'm going to get aggressive with benificials next year as I'm trying to keep organic. But I must say it's been a tough year for me bug-wise. I still have yet to figure out whats eating my flower buds!

• tracey_nj6
    19 years ago

Oleander aphids. Harsh sprays with the hose for a few days will eventually get rid of them. I've had them for the last few years on my asclepias tuberosa. This is the first year I haven't seen any!

(knocking wood)

• catherinek
    19 years ago

I have these on my oleander too. I sprayed soapy water (and then rinsed off with clear water) to get rid of them. It works but they come back... I am wondering if I should get some insecticide as I will have to bring the oleander inside when the weather gets too cool (right now it is on the balcony). Does any one recommend any particular type of insecticide for this type of problem?

• laperouse
    17 years ago

Just wondering: do these oleader aphids/yellow aphids overwinter? Right now they are covering my Asclepias c., but don't seem to be bothering anything else.

marianne

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Oleander aphids are tropical insects and are not likely to overwinter in your area. This insect is unusual among aphids in that no males have ever been discovered in the wild....which means that the females do not lay eggs (which is how other aphid species over winter in colder climates).

It is believed that they migrate from warmer locations with the help of spring and summer storms. It wouldn't surprise me, though, that they evolve to adapt to their new environments and begin producing males towards the end of the season. Evolution is something we can practically watch happening with insects!

If anyone has any other information about the oleander aphid, I would surely like to hear about it. And don't forget that there is a similiar aphid that is found on milkweed, though it is more orange in color.

• rick_aboveandbeyond_tv
    13 years ago

I have pictures of these yellow bugs around our house...in St. Louis...how do I post them?