Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lacewing fail

Posted by tropicgal 8b CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 18:06

So disappointing. I'm having trouble with spider mites and aphids so I bought plants that have nectar and pollen to keep lacewings happy and planted them throughout the yard. I sent for and released lacewing eggs twice with no success. I put them out in the evening on leaves that were misted with water, and the white specks are still sitting there weeks later. What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lacewing fail

The white specks might be cast skins -- in other words, not aphids but their old "skins."

any chance of pictures?

o

Here is a picture of the stuff I sprinkled on the leaf. It looks the same as when I sprinkled it when the lacewing eggs arrived. IMG_2974

I have 1 more package of lacewing eggs on the way. Any advice on making them more successful?

o

Oh, so those are the white specks you mentioned?

If so, they won't disappear until blown or brushed off. They're bran or something similar to cushion the very small lacewing eggs also in the package.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here