Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tansyjane

how to treat for (possibly) leafminers

TansyJane
18 years ago

This spring my hollyhocks are infested with an odd flying insect that I'm tentatively id'ing as some kind of leafminer (based on a few hours of reading and using various insect id keys). Unfortunately, I can't find a picture online to match what I have, and I don't have a zoom lens so any picture I post would probably not be helpful. In any case, I do think I need to rid my hollyhocks of these things, and I'm wondering how to go about it. My plan was to spray soapy (dishsoap) water on the leaves, but the garden center I went to after a mister was out, so I bought a supposedly organic spray called 'Flower Pharm' that includes cottonseed, rosemary, and cinnamon oil, among other things. Now my problem is that when I went out to spray, I saw some aphid looking creatures (except larger, and brown, and with incredibly long proboscises) and one brave ladybug, whom I'm counting on to at least eat up the aphid-like creatures. Now I just don't know what to do. I'm leaning toward taking a wait and see approach, but I'll be so sad if I don't get some hollyhocks --- I've waited two whole years!! Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice --- thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus