Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Millions of Earwigs (Pincher Bugs)

Posted by BusterJay CA (My Page) on
Wed, May 25, 05 at 18:32

I have millions of pincher bugs outside and now I find them everywhere inside on hard floors, in shower, in bathroom. Usually you cant see them til night time. that is when they are awake and out.

I have sprayed Poision around the house and even put pesticides on the lawn but every day I see them.

HELP ME Please!!!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Millions of Earwigs (Pincher Bugs)

Getting rid of earwigs takes more than applications of insecticides. You need to change their environment, as well. I'll attach a good fact sheet for you to read. It explains some of the changes you should probably think about around your home. PLEASE know that the pesticide recommendations are outdated! Some of the things they mentioned are not even available anymore, and you shouldn't use them in your home if they were!

I've found two products to be very helpful in control household pests. Boric acid and diatomaceous earth (horticultural grade). Both do a great job at controlling these pests where they hide. You can use the diatomaceous earth outside, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earwig control

o

please help also i have millions f ear wigs to inside and outside just everywhere . More pincherbugs than i have ever seen in my life

o

• Posted by
    cindy zamora 91706
    (cinzam@aol.com) on
    Tue, May 10, 11 at 23:43

I too have a picher bug problem. I need to get rid of them. I dont know where there coming from but they crawl in my house. Have killed hundreds of them since I moved in to my home. I kill about 2-4 a day. How can I get rid of them? I sprayed a pesticide out by infront of the door hoping they might die crawling in but still manage to crawl in alive. Please help

o

OMG! I thought i was the only one with pincher bug issues!! must be the season or something!! not sure about anyone else, but mine are huge, and some fly!! i live in the Central valley in Northern California!! going to try some of the links above I hope they help!!

o

Earwigs can be both beneficial insects and pests and most control methods I see call for using very braod spectrum poisons that will also kill off the predators of earwigs.
The first step in control is to understand that earwigs like, and need, moist environments to live and grow in so looking around and eliminating moist areas is the first step. Unfortunately earwigs do like the mulches many of us put down in the gardens, so you need to determine which is more inportant to you, the mulch or the earwigs.
Garlic sprays are a good repellant, if you don't mind your yard smelling like a pizza parlor. Rolled up newspapers can be used as a trap, shallow containers with vegetable oils can also be used. Creating a habitat that attracts the predators of earwigs can go a long way towards control.

o

we r having the same problem need help asap

o

I found a fact sheet about earwigs (pincher bugs) I have a horrible problem with these little creatures from hell. I hope something works.

The link is from CO State.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/Pests/earwigs1.htm

o

Keep in mind that your exposure to most of the organiphosphate poisons recommended for control of earwigs is more hazardous than the earwigs. Keep in mind also that spraying those broad spectrum will kill off the beneficial insects that might aid in control of the earwigs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here