Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny red bugs on wood deck

Posted by janice5 zone5 Mi. (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 19:40

Photobucket

My son-in-law has these tiny red bugs on his patio deck in Columbus, Ohio. He says they're smaller than a pinhead and there are about 25-50 per square foot. He hasn't noticed any on his plants.
Is anyone able to identify and should he hose them off?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny red bugs on wood deck

janice5, it might be the immature stage of the 'false box elder beetle' (Jadera haematoloma). It is associated with the Golden Rain tree in Florida and it can invade homes to overwinter. The literature suggests that the insect is migrating northward and has become associated with the Soapberry family (Sapindaceae).

o

It looks like an 8 legged critter to me! One of the 'clover mites' or similiar....there has been quite a few posts about them lately.

By all means, spray them off with a mild,soapy solution.

o

That's a mite! Particularly if it is the size of the head of a pin. Amazing that you got such a clear photo.

o

We have lots of tiny red bugs on our wood deck. They seem to appear more when it's really hot out. They're about the size of this . ~ they're not bright red, I don't think they fly, but they do somehow latch onto you if you get too close, then the itching starts! I've even found them crawling on my computer screen now and then, which I assume is because of the heat. Any ideas? We have a dog so we don't use pesticides.

o

Looks like the mite that destroyed our Paperwhite Birch and many others in the neighborhood years ago. Tell your SIL to keep a good eye on his trees, etc.

Not sure how much damage they could do to already cut lumber, but wouldn't want them there. Sandy

o

Looks like Spider Mite to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider Mites

o

Spider mites are smaller than what the OP describes, and they won't be found in large numbers other than on plants.

The 'clover mites' are a common nuisance in the summer time. They are typically described as being on the siding, along window sills, on the deck/patio, and even in the home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here