Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

Strawberry Root Weevils destroy my container plants.

sunslight
18 years ago

Does anyone have a sure (as best there can be) way to stop the Strawberry Root Weevil?

It is ubiquetous in my area. It chews, roses, euyonimous, forsethia, annuals, perennials, vines, shrubs, trees--it's tell-tell mark is for the adult to leave chewed notches on the plant's leafs, while the larve destroys the roots.

I can't rid it from the county, but it's imperitative that I stop it from getting into my container and pot planting.

Some of these plants are expensive fruit trees/tropicals, that I have over-wintered, then taken outside for the spring & summer.

I have to stop the SRW from climbing the Container walls and getting into the potting soil.

I could use a systemic pesticide, but don't want to. I want to stop it before it gets to the soil.

For my annual containers though, I don't know of any other way than using chemicals in the container's soil.

But that won't work on my fruit trees that are in containers. They bear edible fruit.

I've lost four rare plants to these pests. They must (I don't see them) climb the sides of the round containers--18" diameter containers--and drop into the soil, to take up nice home.

Anyone have ideas on how I can stop them? Isolation from the lawn/shrubs didn't work--I had them 20 ft away and still got infested.

Is there something sticky I can put on the container sides to catch the bug as it tries climbing the sides?

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (2)

Sponsored