Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gailuvscats

hundreds of ladybugs, what to expect?

gailuvscats
15 years ago

4 days ago, I noticed an increasing number of ladybug pupa.

they are increasing, aand morphing into the ladybugs. I have all stages. Never had this before. I suspect the Norway Spruce tree must have had a lot of eggs, by the way the birds were picking away for weeks.

Is this going to be a yearly occurance now? Are they going to leave here after they become the full bug?

I don't want to destroy them, but am apprehnsive of what the future will bring. A few managed to get in on the porch, and into my car. I have been putting them back out.

What to do?

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

In all likelihood, they will disperse once they've developed wings. They will want to find a location where there isn't quite so much competition for food.

There is the chance that you might have a bunch of adults who insist on entering your home in the fall, but you can prevent that by making sure that your doors and windows all have tight seals. ( I had ladybugs in the house until we installed a new storm door.)

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Because it is such a huge infestation, I'm imagining what you have is the Asian Ladybug beetle. We had an outbreak a couple of years ago. They were a pain, but we survived. At least they don't damage your plants!

Here is a link that might be useful: Facts about Asian Ladybug Beetle from MSU IMP

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

The spruce reference got me thinking. Make sure what you think are ladybug pupae are not spruce bagworms!

Here is a link that might be useful: Spruce bagworm fact sheet - PSU Extension

• ziibiikwe
    15 years ago

I live in Michigan and we were infested with what we thought were just common ladybugs...not the case. Asian beetles is what the Forest Service and State DNR told us. There were introduced to kill some other bug. Watch out because the females bite....honest the do. Doesn't really hurt that bad but enough to get your attention...They will get worse. We would have hundreds in the window sills inside the house....you can perfectly sealed windows and doors but they will still get in...eventually they will make their way to the warmest, safest place....typically a basement..you won't believe where you will find the. When you smash them it is orange in color and stains clothes..they stink when you kill them as well...just nasty...not cute little ladybudgs....you are best served to destroy them as quickly as possible...if you call a pest control company they can spray the inside and especially around the outside of the house and windows to set boundries that they won't pass through..they will land on you and you won't even know it and that is also how they get carried in...watch out for open food containers - sugar/creamer bowls!!! They will drop into coffee cups, glasses with sweetened beverages in them...even on your dinner plate. If a pest control operator can't help, contact your state department of natural resources...

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Many people misunderstand what the purpose of Lady Beetles, even the Asian Lady Beetles, is and that is to help us by eating other insects, mostly those we do not want. To us Lady Beetles are harmless, they do nothing that will harm us even if the Asian Lady Beetles join us in our houses in the winter. The poisons that "pest control" companies spray to eliminate them does more harm to you and your family than the Lady Beetles ever will.

• ziibiikwe
    15 years ago

Asian Lady Beetles are an invasive species not originally supposed to be here and do cause harm...sort of like the pilgrims were to the Native Americans and look how well that turned out. When our government introduces an invasive species to combat on that has always lived here, there is always going to be trouble. They should focus on using what we already have deter other bugs. They are certainly cute but not by the hundreds and hundreds...

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County