Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are small white things on my hibiscus buds?

Posted by carol9999 Long Island, NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 13, 06 at 8:44

i have small white things (maybe larvae or eggs) mostly on my hibiscus buds (little on leafs), which is preventing them to bloom.... i also see ants in these buds (maybe they are eating the white things?) what do i do about this problem?? i do see some flies (greeninsh body with transparent wings ..very small maybe 1/4 inch long..not like regular house flies)..i have several hibiscus planted in containers and about half of them have this and the other do not....i live in NY and purchased from home depot and costco... they are outside during the spring and summer months ...i buy new every year as i do not want to bring them in for winter....thanks...carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are small white things on my hibiscus buds?

Aphids. You have aphids. Just spray them with a strong spray of water and continue this ritual until the problem is gone. But they will come back next year.

And if you see Ladybugs, consider them your friend as their larvae will eat the aphids but not bother with your plants.

o

Would you say that the flies have a very iridescent coloring? And flit around quite actively? Winged aphids look just like their non-winged sisters, so if you know what an aphid looks like....you should be able to ID that. I'm wondering if it might not be something else. If you say that are iridescent, that might shed a different light on those green things.

Sure would like a description of those white things. ;-)

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 14, 06 at 13:44

Possibly the white things are shed skins of aphids?

o

That's what I've been thinking......

o

Those small flies with iridescent wings are aphids?? Mine are small, mostly greenish bodies that flit around a lot. Then, there are the small, orangish, egg looking things on my milkweed. They are the same creature? I don't understand.

o

I was TRYING to get a better description from Carol regarding those little flies. I was thinking in terms of the Long Legged flies, which are pretty little iridescent insects....often green, but can be blue, gold, or other colors. I'll attach an image. They are beneficial.

"small, orange, egg looking things" is a difficult description to go by. Do your own search on Milkweed Aphid and decide if that's it. If not, let us know if they are insects or if they are eggs. ;-)

The flies would be after the aphids, by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty little Long Legged Fly

o

Could it be the evil white fly?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here