Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
looner_gw

Ants

looner
15 years ago

I have been totally overrun with those tiny ants. I heard that if you liberally sprinkle corn meal around the ants wil take it back to the nest and share with the others and all will die. Yeah, well that doesnt work. I think they have invited the entire town's ant population over to our house. I have sprayed outside many times and sprayed inside many times and that didnt help. I have seriously lost my patience with the problem. I read the postings and have yeast so am going to try that but do not hold any serious hope that it will work. I tried the borax idea and had the same results as the cornmeal. It just brought more. I had no pets at the time and used it everywhere. I now have 3 cats that love to antagonize the ants and dont want them harmed. HELP!!!!

Comments (10)

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Where are these ants?
    Outside there is no reason to do anything to control the ants since they are a major part of Ma Natures recycling machine and pose no hazard to you.
    If in the house they need to be moved back outside where they belong.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

looner, you'll have to bait the ants and allow them to take the tainted product back to the nest. I suggest that you purchase several bait stations filled with a boric acid syrup, and place them in the locations where you have seen the ants. These stations must not be available to the cats, however.

You will see the ants swarm the bait stations, which will be alarming, but in a matter of a few hours, there will be little to no activity. The ants will have taken the boric acid syrup back to the nest to feed everyone....bingo!

You may have large colonies inside the walls of your home. Thus, the use of a bait is essential to their control.

Here is a link that might be useful: What to look for

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Integrated pest management is a stepped way to solving a real problem.
    1. Identify the problem and determine if it really needs to be solved.
    2. Identify potential methods of solving the problem.
    3. Identify the least toxic method of solving this problem.
    4. Apply the least toxic means of control
    5. Review.
    No one should grab the most toxic solution at the outset of a perceived problem.

• looner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did go buy numerous boxes of ant baits and spread them around. I also bought some ant spray that states it is safe around humans and pets. I do not see them using the baits however. I also bought Terro Ant Killer which is supposed to be a great product. No help there either. I must have numerous ant families in my walls because they are never-ending. I also tried the cinnamon but all they did was crawl all over it. Didnt stop them at all. I must have hordes of ants HELP ME

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

looner, stop using the sprays and other stuff. Those can ruin the chance of the Terro baits working the way they are supposed to. If you are familiar with the primary paths of these ants, place a bait station nearby.

• looner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you for the information i find them mostly in the bathroom (overrun with them) in the front room, my bedroom and the kitchen. i keep all foods in tightly capped containers and all dishes clean laundry is clean etc. In the bathroom i have placed 4 terro ant baits and 3 in the livingroom and 4 in the kitchen. that has been almost a month ago and i am still seeing numerous ants. they seem neverending.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Since the ants are in your house you need to find out why they are there and correct those reasons. Simply killing the ants you see will not "get rid" of them since more will follow the trail of those you killed. Once you determine why they are in your house and have corrected the reason then you can start to drive them out by placing barriers (lemon juice or peppermint oil) so they will not go where you do not want them and once they have been moved out of your house (find all of the ants entry points) you can seal up the points of entry to keep them from returning.
    But simply putting poisons down to kill any pest is not the real solution to the problem.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

When I had an infestation of them, I finally turned to the pros. The first one did not help, but the second one did.

The ants go very deep into the ground, and once you spray, they flee in different directions and create 25 queens. It is just awful. The professionals tried many things until they used a termite control.

I felt that even though I had studied so many baits and other controls, that the experts knew exactly how to use their products.

At one time there was like a carpet of ants coating my patio, and climbing up the side of the house. That is when one company had been taking our money for 6 months. The ants just get worse and worse.

Sammy

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

Once again, Ants outside, in your yard, are beneficial insects here to clean up after us by taking care of the refuse we scatter around and as long as they are outside there is no reason to do anything to control them, all of the "pest control" companies that prey on fear aside.
    Inside your house you should control them, starting with redirecting them back outside and finding where they are coming in and stopping up those entry points. But spreading poisons around in your house, wher ethey will adversly affect the health of your family and you is not the solution either.

• mimulus
    15 years ago

kimmsr, thank you for repeating the IPM methodology and theory of ants being a natural part of the environment. I have been an organic gardener for 30 years and always followed these methode. However, please read my new post about my problem with the introduced Argentine ants. I don't know what it is like in zone 4/5. Maybe the cold helps keep the ants under control? But, we're fighting a different battle now here in So Cal. The IPM methods are not working as well as they once did. These ants are not native to this area and whatever helps keep them under control obviously doesn't exist here because they are multiplying like crazy and becoming a serious problem. I try never to use chemicals but I'm so frustrated I'm ready to try just about anything.