Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieheart

how do I spray for deer when there's no plant left?

pieheart
16 years ago

Well, I thought I had sprayed for deer on everything. Apparently I missed the cosmos because they were pretty much devoured. I'd like to protect them somehow so they can recover. Once there's some foliage to spray I'll spray them, but until then, how do I protect them?

Comments (7)

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

pieheart, I was thinking along the lines of a sturdy tomato cage kind of barrier.

• pieheart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, my plants are about six inches high now, but maybe a chicken wire domey thing? Good idea, it will give them a chance to grow some new foliage and flowers and (hopefully) reseed for next year.

Thanks, when I posted I was so discouraged. It looked like a cosmos graveyard out there. Which is appropos I guess, the previous owner actually put a pet cemetary in that area, then put a flower bed over it!

• ronalawn82
    16 years ago

pieheart, the chicken wire dome is nothing to a deer determined to make a meal of your plant(s). A medium sized deer once cornered me against a hibiscus hedge; I would go for the welded-mesh type of cage.

• vmcintee
    16 years ago

Hi there,

I found this recipe on the internet and it worked for me...

Take one egg, and a cup of water. Beat with mixer until the egg and the water become one. I did it longer just to be sure. Take that mixture and combine in 1 gallon of water. Let sit for 24 hours. (I let mine sit outside) Take that mixture and pour into a spray bottle. Spray the leaves of the plants you are trying to protect.

I tested this on my Ceanothus that the deer just love. I technically planted it knowing it was deer candy so normally I don't mind them munching on it, but then they decided to munch on my new apricot tree to. With no leaves on the Apricot tree it was hard to tell if it was working so I sprayed it on the Ceanothus and it began to get bigger again...

• tn_jed
    16 years ago

im no expert but if there are no leaves couldnt you put a couple bamboo shoots in the ground with a piece of cloth soaked with your spray repelant tied to them

• kitova
    16 years ago

i use a cage with bird netting pinned around it.

assuming you use a spray that repels by smell too, you can also go ahead and spray on and around your denuded plant to keep the deer off.

things that have egg (bad taste) and some smelly oil (olfactory deterrent) like peppermint, rosemary, clover, or cinnamon work best imho. smelly as in smelly to deer, pleasant to humans.

i think deer out, deer solution (by natural pest solutions), deer stopper, and bobbex all have all natural ingredients featuring eggs and some smelly oil as their main ingredients.

good luck! and breathe... i feel i have (mostly) conquered my deer problem. i'm in a good place. hope you will be as well soon..

• pieheart
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I actually moved the cosmos to inside my veggie garden. I also have flowers there and so far most of the cosmos are recovering. And I think it may have been our groundhog anyway. I see him prancing around in that corner of the yard. Fortunately he seems to like the neighbor's yard, only seems to be cutting through our yard to get to his hole. Which is on yet another neighbor's property.

Fun, fun, fun!