Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtma508

Chipmunk control

jtma508
13 years ago

I found the previous thread on this subject and there were alot of great ideas. I live on a 5ac property that borders a stream and woodlands. Needless to say we have all manner of wildlife control issues. Every winter I battle the flying squirrels in the attic (I trapped 28 in '09 and 32 this year). But the chipmunks are my current foe. They've been descimating my strawberries.

I don't like killing animals so the 'swimming pool of death' didn't appeal to me. But in the other thread I read that lots of people using the Havahart trap were not having success. The chipmunks just bypassed the trap for the strawberries. Like most, I baited my trap (7" square opening) with peanutbutter adn even added a peanut. No takers. After 4 days I trapped a red squirrel. Then I tried another bait.

When I reset the trap I sprinkled some safflower seed inside on the treadle (being careful that none made it outside the trap). Since doing that I have trapped (and relocated) 5 chipmunks in under 10hrs (I close the trap at night). Safflower is like crack to them. Strawberries are looking remarkably better these days!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996