Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppermint soap to control flies (and other bugs?)

Posted by grassman84 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 11:51

Do people out there have any feedback regarding using peppermint to control flies and other bugs? I pulled this quote out of another thread relating to controlling flies attracted to dog poop:

' . . .i do however have no fly problem, what i do is about once a week i take a bar of Dr.John's all natural peppermint soap (it might be St.John's can't remember),i cut into three pieces and shove it into one of those miracle grow containers that attaches to the end of your hose, and then u can spray with it. i spray everything, the grass the plants, the deck (so it runs under the deck). it seems to work wonders, i never see flies around my yard, or in my house, but my neighbors do and they don't spray the peppermint!! i also have three enormous lavender bushes around my back door so there may some truth to the lavender repelling flies thing!! anyways thats my all natural tip!! . . .

Wondering if others have had success similar to this poster and if the peppermint would be effective for all sorts of flies, bugs, mosquitos, no-see-ums, etc.

This is the thread from which I pulled the quote:

Here is a link that might be useful: dogs and flies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppermint soap to control flies (and other bugs?)

I should mention that I dont have dogs and therefore flies are not a problem. I am most interested to find out if the peppermint only works for flies or if it will work on all these other flying creatures that get into my house from the heavily wooded area in which I live. Also, would it harm existing plants? Thanks

o

Real peppermint oil is known to repel ants. This is the first time I've seen anything about using a peppermint soap spray in this way. I do know the common housefly will hang around my peppermint plants.

o

I use Dr Bronner's peppermint soap to kill aphids and I actually just used it to give my dog a bath and kill fleas. It has real peppermint oil in it which is what kills bugs. It has killed every bug I've used it on so far and is food and animal safe. I also use it to wipe down counters and the fridge. Smells good, and works! I was the only apartment that didn't have ants inside once I figured it out. I usually mix a couple table spoons in a large spray bottle and just go at it. You could just use peppermint oil if killing bugs is your only goal. I use the soap on myself and my house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here