Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is eating my tomatillo plant

Posted by babben z5/MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 12:16

I have a (previously) healthy tomatillo plant in a container on my deck. Something is eating it. There are some sets of very small yellow/yellow-orange eggs on the undersides of the leaves. Each set has about 8-12 eggs, laid right next to each other in rows. Once those hatch, they turn into dark brown bugs that a) are a bit slimy and b) sit on the underside of the leaves in groups and eat the leaves. I don't see the brown bugs moving at all. They are about 1/8 inch in length.

I've tried spraying diluted Dr. Bronner's soap on them. That appears to kill them but new ones keep coming back to the plant. Any suggestions? Any idea what they are?

Thanks,
Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is eating my tomatillo plant

As long as there are eggs they will hatch into those insects and you will have them. The simplest method of eliminating the eggs is to squish them.

o

I just noticed these today. I just removed the affected leaves. Problem is, the tomatillo is so full that it's impossible to check every leaf. I just hope I can keep it under control.

I'm curious, anyone have an idea what these eggs are?

o

I've just reminded myself that Cuke/ squash beetles will munch on tomatillo....so those eggs could either be those of ladybugs OR the pests. As long as you have clear indications that they are eating the foliage, then I'd say you should get rid of the eggs.

o

I've got these bugs too! I haven't found any eggs, but will no go look.

Any ideas to get rid of them? I really don't like SLIMEY and my three plants are too big to really check leaf by leaf - but I will if I have to.

o

Sounds like the 3 lined potato beetle. Has eggs and larvae that match your description. good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 lined potato beetle info

o

Heartland gardener is correct. I have the same insects. You have seen the eggs and larva, but the beetle is yellow with vertical stripes. I sprayed Neem, but have smashed the eggs and keep smashing the insects. These are potato beetles. See insect in upper mid left of picture.
I am organic, so I do not use any pesticides. Only organic approved methods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Big bloom hydro

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here