Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Online resource for IDing insects

Posted by ckbozeman 7b/8a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 14:02

Hello,
I am a first time poster to this forum.

Can anyone recommend a website with color photos to help me ID the insects in my veg garden?
I am in the outheast/Deep South.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Online resource for IDing insects

I've not seen one and given that there are some 8,000,000 species of insects there probably is no good way to do that. There are many sites that have lots of information available about each species of insect, some even with very good pictures that can be used to confirm the identity, but you need to have a pretty good idea what you do have to even find those.
I have a fairly large, thick book about beetles, and have seen other books on many different species, and some of my books about plant pests and diseases have pictures of a few of the insects, but again you kind of pretty much need to know what you are lokking for to find it.

o

There are many such web sites, ckbozeman. After all, you are looking for common insects in the vegetable garden, not images of every insect on the planet. ;-) I'll link you to a couple of such sites, but it will be up to you to find some others. The 'edu' sites are likely to be the most helpful.

Another useful tool for learning about the insects you might see in your garden is a decent field guide. Though limited in the numbers of arthropods they feature, they can be an excellent way to learn the behaviors of particular insect orders, spiders, etc. The Audubon Society Field Guide to NA Insects and Spiders is one that I recommend often as a good resource for those interested in learning more about the insects they find around their homes and gardens.

http://entomology.unl.edu/images/beneficials/beneficials.htm

The above link has several images of beneficial insects and other helpful critters, as well as pathogens that affect insect pests.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

o

Thanks for the links, Rhizo.
Indeed helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here